Converting from power to manual brakes

-

74scamp440

Reaction score
As per my name I own a 74 scamp that was originally a slant 6 car with power brakes. It has had a 440 swapped into it and I am now putting fenderwell headers in there as well so I am running out of room.

been looking at this problem for a while now and just cant figure out how to change this car into a manual brake car. most of my confusion comes from the strange bracket between the firewall and the booster. Am I supposed to keep the bracket there and just get an adapter to put a master cylinder on it or am I supposed to remove the whole assembly and put the master on the firewall (the brake pedal apears to pull a rod into the firewall rather than push like every other assembly I have seen)

thanks for the help in advance
~Christian

Yea just remove the bracket with booster. You could use the same master and make a rod using the old booster parts or buy a master that is made for non booster. If you decide to use the old one make sure to leave 1/8 of slack in between rod and master bore. so your brakes dont lock up.

The manual master cylinder uses a different diameter piston (smaller I think) to reduce the force required. They're not that expensive, better to get the right one.

Ask here, likely someone will have a rod the right length.

If you swap to manual brake make sure you find a master with a 15/16 bore other wise your brake pedal will be very hard to push. I have the manual brake rod if you need 1. I did this swap & used 1 for an early 70's with front disc

Unbolt the brackets from the firewall and replace with a master of the same type of brakes as you already have (drum brake master or disc brake mater). It bolts right to the firewall. You will need the correct master cylinder push rod. PM me if you need one.

-
Back