converting to electric

-

Losi

Reaction score
in process of getting my 67 up and running again. gas tank is full with 10+ year old gas so was planning on dropping and maybe just replacing the tank instead of trying to clean it... came upon the aftermarket setups with a fuel pump inside the tank for efi applications.. would this work on a carb vehicle still or would i run into complications i know i would have to add a fuel pressure regulator and return line but would like to get away from the mechanical pump and just go full electric fuel supply. Has anyone done it and can chime in?

it will work but you'll need to add a regulator with a return or run a pump that has an internal regulator. it's slightly more nuanced than that, but there's the basics.

i run a tanks inc tank with their pump and their fuel line/regulator for carb applications and it works *perfectly*. the pump is dead nuts quiet, everything fit and works right. this is on a 383 2bbl application.

i've installed several similar set ups using different components, but the price kind of evens out considering the headache factor of sourcing all the parts and trying to find quality components.

in process of getting my 67 up and running again. gas tank is full with 10+ year old gas so was planning on dropping and maybe just replacing the tank instead of trying to clean it... came upon the aftermarket setups with a fuel pump inside the tank for efi applications.. would this work on a carb vehicle still or would i run into complications i know i would have to add a fuel pressure regulator and return line but would like to get away from the mechanical pump and just go full electric fuel supply. Has anyone done it and can chime in?

Electrics have their drawbacks, but they also have their advantages.
After a decade of running both at different times I would have to say mechanical is more reliable.

I run electric myself because of those advantages.
Instant fuel to the carb and therefore instant starts with very little starter wear.
Cooler fuel because of the return, and zero possibility of vapor locks.

I just keep an extra pump in the trunk just in case.
Never ran an in tank pump in this car, but wouldn’t mind.

One advantage I like with the electric pump is the ability to have a hidden switch for fuel. I’ve used hidden switches for ignition also. Another anti theft device.
Like JY Hero, I like the tanks inc system because it’s quite and top quality.

it will work but you'll need to add a regulator with a return or run a pump that has an internal regulator. it's slightly more nuanced than that, but there's the basics.

i run a tanks inc tank with their pump and their fuel line/regulator for carb applications and it works *perfectly*. the pump is dead nuts quiet, everything fit and works right. this is on a 383 2bbl application.

i've installed several similar set ups using different components, but the price kind of evens out considering the headache factor of sourcing all the parts and trying to find quality components.
i was looking at that exact setup just wasnt hundred percent certain it would work since its supposed to be for fuel injection. ill look at there regulator also and get thee order started on the tank now

Also out of curiousity. what did you use for powering the fuel pump???? a relay standalone kit or something else?

i was looking at that exact setup just wasnt hundred percent certain it would work since its supposed to be for fuel injection. ill look at there regulator also and get thee order started on the tank now
here's the link to the regulator kit:

Also out of curiousity. what did you use for powering the fuel pump???? a relay standalone kit or something else?
i used a generic relay from the jungle store. but their kit is fine too and not wildly overpriced.

save yourself the headache and get their fuel gauge with the sender. it's not flashy, but it works.

Does the one that comes with tank not work with the factory gauge like they say in description
oh, that one works. it's just a little fiddly. and don't fully trust the stock gauge.

and i like the tube style sender more.

-
Back