converting to electronic ignition

-

Colohusker

Reaction score
Okay, need some help with electrical issues. One of the previous owners had started converting the 70 Duster to electronic ignition. He put the electronic ignition box and a harness in, but my issue is that it appears the bulkhead connector plugs don't match up to what is on the interior wiring.

Any way to identify what the harness came from so I can get a diagram of the bulkhead connector plugs, or should I just start running wires according to the wiring diagram in the service book? If I run new wires, can anyone help with what changes there are with an electronic box in place of the original points distributor?

Thanks,
Scott

This might shed some light for you. You can blow it up bigger after you save them.

70ValiantDusterA.jpg

70ValiantDusterB.jpg

70ValiantDusterA.jpg

70ValiantDusterB.jpg

Thanks for the diagrams, these are a little easier to read than the ones in the service manual, but the engine bay harness doesn't match up to it. For example, on the engine bay side, this shows 22 wires on the bulkhead connectors, but mine only has 20 wires on the bulkhead connectors, and some of the wires shown here on the connectors don't exist on mine, but some of mine aren't shown on the diagram. I think my engine bay harness is out of a 76 just based on what I see on the number of wires on the connectors, but I haven't traced the wires down to see if they match.

this drawing shows the bulk head connector and color of the wires on a 1970. compare yours one wire at a time. wire it up one wire at a time. don't look at them all at once.Ill bet it will work just fine. for the electronic ignition you will use the dark blue and brown. good luck.

Thanks for the advice, I was just hoping to snap my fingers and have it done. :) I hate tracing wires down.

I'll let you know how things turn out. I'll start tracking things down in the engine compartment tonight and matching them up with the bulkhead connector.

One amusing thing about the current wiring is if I try to start the car, the horn honks. :)

-
Back