Converting to HEI, need 12v (Ign 12) source

-
Short version is that the Scamp is starting while cranking now. God bless glass packs for lifting the spirit. However, I'm still not confident about the wiring. But progress is progress.

I pulled the dash and bypassed the Ammeter. I had to pull the dash anyways to check the wiring there again. I pulled and checked the column connectors again for the ignition. Because the red12v/brown(Ign12) are on the same connector I couldn't figure out a good way to test brown, other than if I had a 12v source to plug into the ignition side harness - so I skipped that as it looked 'ok' (ok, meaning the connector plastic on the OG harness are cracked/deteriorating but the connection looks good). (I have very novice meter skills, so maybe there is an easy way to do this.)

I pulled the bulkhead connectors which thanks to the PO was difficult due to the pickup truck goop that I had cut/peel away. Connectors looked ok, K (oil pressure switch) was corroded though - which is probably why I was getting the Oil light. I cleaned both sides of all connectors, wire brush and brake cleaner, let dry and reconnected. Again, no easy way to test red/brown there but assumed functional.

Removed the alternator harness connector, was corrosion there but not on the brown. Cleaned both sides. The alternator harness is not OG as the colors don't match the schematic and alt-battery main wire bypasses factory connector using a quick disconnect, that alternator-battery connector was corroded so I cleaned that also.

I added a wire to run from +brown wire that was originally connected to the coil, back to the connection at the (former) ECM brown. I had checked this previously for power at crank but there was none, as it basically connects to the same circuit as Q, but figured what the heck so I added the third wire also to the blue (Ign11) 12v. (This hopefully, will feed a relay to trigger power from the starter relay battery terminal, and then to HEI coil power.)

On first try to start, nothing, no crank, no lights but battery showed good. Checked my wiring again and turn key nothing, and then power... Cranked, fired, crank, fire, etc. No problem after that point. Maybe I still had a damp connection from cleaning.

As I had removed the ballast, seatbelt interconnect relay and ECM in modifying the wiring for the HEI, I no longer had the white wire connector in place to check, as that's where I was pulling the brown Ign 12 from. (It was originally connected to ballast, and then green wire to ECM.)

Still need to check the alternator output. Would like to run a new or additional alternator-battery charge wire. Add a relay for the HEI Coil. And looking forward to adding the headlight relay.

Don't forget to regap your plugs to .045 if you have not done it already.
Glad you got her going.

-
Back