Cooking a goose

-

MVRCorp

Reaction score
I'm bored with the "same ole, same ole". I cooked a turkey for T-day, a ham since and I'm not sure I want to lay out $75.00 for a rib roast for X-mas. I never had goose or cooked one but I've always heard of the "Christmas Goose". So who out here can school me on this.

Nasty tasting bird. I used to hunt them and would have to soak the breasts in milk and then marinate them in italian dressing before chicken frying them to make them taste fair.

Yeah they are greasy suckers. Imo not worth the eat. Its tough to get past the grease. I got a buddy that makes goose wraps with bacon and green peppers there good like that but not as a stand alone.

I shoot about one a year. The best way i have found to make them
tender is to use the pressure cooker for 90 minutes. I use the leftovers for sandwiches and the dog still ends up with his share.

Used to Goose hunt alot. Wild and domestic Geese are not the same. If you have no taste for wild game go with domestic (farm raised). As said before Geese generaly have a layer of fat. I pull the skin off and scrape the fat. On wild Goose I would rub on bacon grease, this helps cut the game taste and keeps the bird from drying out. You can stuff the cavity with stuffing or rice or whatever you like. We like to quarter a couple apples and lay them in the roaster also, this also helps with flavor.
Cook it as you would a roasting Hen or small Turkey. Put just a little water in the bottom of the roaster. Make sure you baste it. Oven settings are the same as any bird per pound.

It would definitely be store bought not wild. I talked to a few people and read a bit on them and everyone says their delicious. No doubt there are right and wrong ways to cook them. My moron brother-in-law tried smoking a duck once, what a greasy mess, enough said. I've learned from reading the importance of poking lots of holes in the skin (not thru into the meat) that allows the fat to cook out. Also to cook it on a rack to keep it drained and not sitting in the fat. My other brother-in-law taught me that it's not a good idea to cook a goose in a pan with a hole in the bottom of it in a gas range. However he did get a new range and a kitchen remodel out of it thanks to the insurance company.
Thanks for the input, I'll post the results during the holidays.

Hey Sheldon, bet ya can't wait till spring.

Goose baked is not worth eating this is my opinion. But wild geese cooked on a grill is awsome. I take the breast out slice them in 5/16 slices marinate them in italian dressing with 1/3 cup of beer and add some wild game smoke seasoning. Soak for about 8-10 hrs cook on the grill over a hot fire so dont shut the lid and walk away and dont over cook it.

Slow cooker overnight with liptons french onion soup mix and water--Cook on low--when done take it out and GIVE it to the neighbors --NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO THEY TASTE LIKE ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would definitely be store bought not wild. I talked to a few people and read a bit on them and everyone says their delicious. No doubt there are right and wrong ways to cook them. My moron brother-in-law tried smoking a duck once, what a greasy mess, enough said. I've learned from reading the importance of poking lots of holes in the skin (not thru into the meat) that allows the fat to cook out. Also to cook it on a rack to keep it drained and not sitting in the fat. My other brother-in-law taught me that it's not a good idea to cook a goose in a pan with a hole in the bottom of it in a gas range. However he did get a new range and a kitchen remodel out of it thanks to the insurance company.
Thanks for the input, I'll post the results during the holidays.

Everyone you talked to lied. Like said they taste like doo doo. Only reason I hunted them is it was fun to watch them fall and go thud. You can make decent jerky out of them though.

I ate Duck one time dang it was a nasty meal full of fat.

Well screw the goose. Local prices for a fresh one is $6.58/pound.

I'm cooking an all natural beef, bone-in, standing rib roast on sale at Sunflower Markets for $4.97/pound. Done this before on my gas grill with a rotisserie. I always use a smoke box for flavor and man is it good. About a 9 pounder should do. Medium rare, thank you.

-
Back