Cool Carbs

-

scatpakman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone using Cool Carbs plates and gaskets. Looking for results and opinions. Thanks.

Thought it was gonna be pictures of cool carbs...
4918F479-2C94-4810-A297-C29F05773DFE.jpeg
never saw one with a glass bowl.

Yes I do on my Edelbrock. Works fantastic.
Just be aware they are not recommended if you have heat crossover

Anyone using Cool Carbs plates and gaskets. Looking for results and opinions. Thanks.

Interested, care to elaborate ?

They work and lot of people like them, but one HUGE issue I have seen discussed is the material between the two layers of aluminum can melt and not only cause a major vacuum leak but the material ends up going into the intake.
I read a discussion on moparts where one guy had his throttle plates blocked from moving because the filler melted into the carb and cooled again interfering with the plates.
This is possibly because of running a heat crossover in the intake.

I run a stacked plate under my Holley to get clearance on the linkage, and highly recommend them. When I had iron heads, I used blocked heat risers. Now with the Edelbrocks it is not an issue.

IMG_4484.JPG

Interested, care to elaborate ?
@TrailBeast pretty much nailed it in post #5. He described what happens if you don't have the heat crossover blocked off and you use CoolCarb. It will melt the material between the layers and get into your carb/intake.

I spoke with the owner at length before purchasing mine. First thing he asked was am I using heat crossover. He said he doesn't recommend it. He explained that if you have decently free-flowing exhaust with no flapper, or a correctly functioning flapper, it might be OK to keep the heat crossover. If you have restrictive exhaust and heat crossover it's definitely a bad idea.

Bottom line if you want to use CoolCarb and keep heat crossover in place you're taking a huge risk. If I wanted to keep heat crossover I'd just make or purchase a solid aluminum heat shield.

-
Back