Coolant coming out of timing cover bolt hole

-

340GTSDart

Reaction score
I have a 68 340 and noticed yesterday coolant leaking from the gasket between the timing cover and block. We pulled the front of the engine off to replace the gaskets and it appears as if coolant is coming out of one of the timing cover bolt holes. Do any of these bolt holes go through coolant passages like the outboard header bolt holes do or am I looking at another problem like an internal crack in the block?

I do believe Yes, they do..wait and get more folks to jump in and get your answer

Yes some of the timing cover/water pump bolts go into the wter passages and should have a little sealant put on them. I don't remember which ones, I have to look it up every time.

Here is a thread on it

I've seen several of those timing covers eroded away usually around the top area
Seems like magnums were more known for it but have seen it on the LA engines too. Get a good look at that especially between the top 2 bolt holes on the passenger side of the cover

Thank you so much for that link wawarnick, the one picture showing the bolts in holes going into coolant passages is the one where coolant is coming out of on mine.

You can always be safe to put proper thread sealant on all the bolts.

Also be careful how long the bolts are. Too long and you can crack the front cylinder wall.

CCE05E7E-236A-4F4C-8BA3-EDBB1595B04F.png

In this photo, the 3 holes with bolts in them go in to coolant.

A8B1978E-C7CD-4D68-AA84-31F07D24021C.png

This photo is self explanatory

It is a timing chain tensioner. It allowed the block, timing chain and gears to not have to be very close in tolerance to fit well.

IMHO it is a part design to fail.

I have lost a timing chain due to parts falling into the path of the chain and the chain trying to ride over it. 4 banger Chevy. The links were ripped apart.

Lol, a debate causer. Not my pics, I saved those from this site a long time ago.
*cuts eyes* sure... sure... just like that funny cigarette "wasn't yours" that you left in the center console...

i had to smoke the whole thing to convince the cops it was just oregano...

-
Back