Coolant leak.

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
Well, I'm getting things buttoned up on the 383 but today I noticed I have a little coolant leaking from the back corner of the passenger side head. I dont think its the header studs- it looks like its coming out from b/w the block and head. I guess I need to re-torque the heads or should I just pull it and try to see what the hell is going on there. Any thoughts? I used the MP steel shim gaskets and torqued the heads to 85 lb ft.

Well, I'm getting things buttoned up on the 383 but today I noticed I have a little coolant leaking from the back corner of the passenger side head. I dont think its the header studs- it looks like its coming out from b/w the block and head. I guess I need to re-torque the heads or should I just pull it and try to see what the hell is going on there. Any thoughts? I used the MP steel shim gaskets and torqued the heads to 85 lb ft.
I have the same problem on my SB. When the car warms up it stops. I was told it was that pesky rear stud (I hope it is).

try retorqing them mite work but on the steel shem I always put a little silicone around the water holes.or paint them with silver paint..

I retorqued the ones I could get to but the pass side header needs to come off to get to the bottom bolts. I think I just need to take both heads off and go with some composite gaskets instead of the shims. I guess it would be a good time to shave the heads to true them up...

Well, I think its fixed. I came home early from work on friday and tore the pass side head off. I found a little bit of the old gasket material still on the head around the water passage near the intake mounting surface. Scraped everything with a razor and cleaned with brake cleaner, sprayed new steel gasket with 2 coats of copper paint and torqued her back down. So far no leaks. I fell like a dumb *** for not noticing the gasket crap the first time! Now, if I can get my timing right she should be breathing through open headers tomorrow morning. My neighbors are going to love me!!

Well, I think its fixed. I came home early from work on friday and tore the pass side head off. I found a little bit of the old gasket material still on the head around the water passage near the intake mounting surface. Scraped everything with a razor and cleaned with brake cleaner, sprayed new steel gasket with 2 coats of copper paint and torqued her back down. So far no leaks. I fell like a dumb *** for not noticing the gasket crap the first time! Now, if I can get my timing right she should be breathing through open headers tomorrow morning. My neighbors are going to love me!!
Hope it goes good as tomorrow mine will be fired up....all long a your C/R isn't over 11:1 I always use Felpro Blue Permatorque gaskets...big and small block with no problems....

-
Back