Coolant Overflow Bottle Question

-

FrostyGreen318

Reaction score
New to site so you can understand if this question is too dumb.

I have a 1974 Dart Sport 318. Radiator was previously changed out from 19" to 22". Coolant overflow hoses were removed.

I know the molded in tube from the bottom of the bottle connects to the radiator and one of the fittings on the green cap is for the overflow, but what is the other cap fitting for? (One small and one larger)

As they say, any help would be greatly appreciated! :cheers:

Thanks, Another Mike

More importantly than the previous question, does anybody know what the correct coolant bottle for a 74 Dart Sport looks like? Also the cap.

Mine has molded in overflow from top and molded in tube from bottom for connection to radiator. Cap is green with two fittings. I suspect either cap or bottle are incorrect for year?

Any help that could be provided would be great.

Thanks

Does this help???
Mopar used 2 different suppliers for the bottles.

Top one has 2 hoses that are in the cap. 1 comes from radiator and the other one is an overflow.

Bottom one has only 1 hose and it goes into the bottle itself.

P8120108.jpg

P2072518.jpg

Thanks,

It looks to me as if the bottle was replaced. The cap matches your first picture with the two fittings but the bottle matches the yellow car. In fact there is a broken piece of the bottle mounting tab that matches your first picture still attached but nothing broken on the bottle. I assume the green cap on the yellow car is solid with no fittings?

Thanks so much for the pictures,

Mike

Yes, it is a solid cap on my yellow car.
Remember these are both 1973 cars.
The blue one was a very early production (Oct. 20,1972) while mine was built exactly 14 Fridays late ( Jan 26, 1973).

Mine is an early 74 (August 1973)

Here are two pictures showing coolant bottle. One before I bought car and one after.

Note to second picture - Bottle bracket has broken piece of original bottle but now holds different style container like your yellow car. I need to find new cap without fittings.

Thanks again for all of your help. This solves some of the mystery.

Mike

Engine.jpg

Dart Sport 002.jpg

Just puchased a 73 Valiant w/318. All original except a newer water pump. Though I'm finding myself having to refill the radiator every week or so depending on how much I drive. Some told me to just ziptie a gatorade bottle to the fram and stick the overflow line in it and that would work just fine...Really? Since I'm the sencond owner of the 37 year old car, I'd like to keep it as close to original as possible. Any thoughts on where I might get a factory (or equivalent) overflow resevoir?

Thanks, Dan :snakeman:

........I have a few different 1s.......cant get them out of storage 4 awhile as it snowed in big time.................kim.............

Mines missing, 318 was swapped for a 360 so It was probably forgotten,...Any help out there...74 duster,m/t

I have a '72 318 Scamp with no bottle and the vapor canister located like in the first (blue car) pic. But my horn is located where the bottle would go. You can just see it in the lower left corner of this pic.
Scamp10.JPG
Where is the horn located in that car? I'd like to add a bottle but there's no room.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look and see if I can move the horn under the battery to make room for a bottle. Probably easier than relocating the vapor canister.

If you are not trying to keep it original, check Wal-Mart (etc.) for stainless or aluminum sports bottles. I used a quart-sized one ($1) on mine, looks great, just drill a hole in the plastic cap and run the puke-tube down into it.

Thanks for the tip. I have a few spare coolant bottles in my garage and I'm going to check to see if one of those will fit before I buy anything else.

-
Back