Coolant Recovery Tank Now a washer reservoir.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Been looking for a windshield washer reservoir for quite awhile now, but not a stock one on the drivers inner fender.
I have way more room on the passenger side.
Also wanted a good flow (better than stock) and have drilled the squirters a bit larger as well as upsized the tubing and pump.

As some may know, where I live it is common during monsoon season to have it rain on and off all day.
When it does, the roads get wet and then the sun comes out and dries things off again.
Road mist of other vehicles is pretty bad and can be intermittent with hot sun.
A good washer system is mandatory in these conditions.

The pump is an inline capable style from a 90’s GM truck and the tubing Y is 1/8 inch copper and is an actual Y instead of the factory plastic T.

It’s been set up this way for a few years and worked great until the reservoir I had cracked and started leaking and I finally went on the hunt for something with good capacity, but also fits the area where I want it and capable of handling the under hood heat.

It’s actually a coolant recovery tank modified to be a washer fluid reservoir.
I’ll probably do a video on it later if anyone has any interest in doing similar.

I will also be making a custom bracket for it.
Obviously I don’t care about stock.

IMG_4896.jpeg

What year and vehicle are we talking about. Most cars had the capability of washer tank and or electric or floor operated pump. Are you doing this for more fluid or just to do something different?

What year and vehicle are we talking about. Most cars had the capability of washer tank and or electric or floor operated pump. Are you doing this for more fluid or just to do something different?
73 Dart Swinger hard top.
(LH23 car)
What I have is the push button wiper switch that activates the wipers and washer at the same time when pushed.
the reservoir and pump were mounted on the drivers side inner fender and the pump was pretty weak.

That side was already a bit busy, as it has the brake booster and master, the Ecore coil and 8 pin HEI module, the voltage regulator and a couple of relays. (One for the regulator voltage sense to the battery, and one for the line lock)

The passenger side was pretty much open,
Save for the fuel pump relay and a couple of early smog related OE parts mounted into the front of the cowel I didn’t want to remove and deal with the resulting holes.

I do like different as well, but very functional is also a priority as some of my other works probably shows.
This car has a lot of not stock on and in it. :D

newface.jpeg

IMG_4755.jpeg

IMG_4753.jpeg

IMG_4208.jpeg

Last edited:
I used a washer reservoir/coolant overflow combination from a fox body Mustang, mounted on the passenger inner fender, close to the radiator, as you mentioned, lots of unused space there.

I used a washer reservoir/coolant overflow combination from a fox body Mustang, mounted on the passenger inner fender, close to the radiator, as you mentioned, lots of unused space there.

I would like to see it if possible.
Mine is right up against the cowl pinch weld.
It’s all done now except for soldering the power wire.
Told my Grandson & his sister I would teach them how to solder, so it’s waiting till after today’s birthday party for one of the other grandkids.

I don't have the washers hooked up at this time, as I don't have the washer nozzles, previous owner decided that they were not necessary. I have been trying to find an alternative for them.

20230923_150605.jpg

20230923_150612.jpg

20230923_150615.jpg

So as I said, it’s all done now except to hook up the power.
I made the bracket for it out of 1/2 x 3/32? aluminum, then polished it.
The left corner is sitting on a foam strip.

IMG_4899.jpeg

IMG_4898.jpeg

-
Back