Cork or Rubber VC Gaskets?

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
I have changed out my M/T Valve covers for a set of new M/P Valve covers. I used a new gasket set (Cork) and I cannot get the passengers side to seal at the lower portion of the head (above # 8 cylinder) I have been wondering if I was to purchase a set of rubber gaskets if I may have better luck in sealing these covers up. The cork ones are weeping at the lower corner only on this side. Any input would be helpful. Thanks, maniac.

Cork, make sure the VC surface is clean and flat. Check the surface on the head and make sure it is smooth, use a scotchbrite pad and go over the sealing surface on the head to clean up any small humps. RTV the cork gasket to the cover and let them sit overnight. Apply a light coat of oil on the head surface for easy removal of the cover. DO NOT over tighten the bolts.

I agree with the above, the steel core sili molded gasket would be very nice and keep the drips off of the highways/driveways....

But cork gasket on the valve cover is what I have had the best luck with, they may stick aftr while and not like being reused more than 2-4 times but they seal.
The problem with the rubber VC gasket is that they dont conform to the usually bent about cover that has been over torqued most of the time by guys using 3/8 ratchets & arm and hammer force, the weight of the swinging 3/8 drive ratchet alone is enough to seal the cover, but most keep cranking away. Another thing is that once they get oily...they stay that way and leak.

Someone 'the same who make welded aluminum sb covers' should make a thick fab'd aluminum cover for the slant...

oh and for those who like torquing the snot out of everything, try a 1/4 ratchet...or a nut driver even.lol

I agree with the above, the steel core sili molded gasket would be very nice and keep the drips off of the highways/driveways....

But cork gasket on the valve cover is what I have had the best luck with, they may stick aftr while and not like being reused more than 2-4 times but they seal.
The problem with the rubber VC gasket is that they dont conform to the usually bent about cover that has been over torqued most of the time by guys using 3/8 ratchets & arm and hammer force, the weight of the swinging 3/8 drive ratchet alone is enough to seal the cover, but most keep cranking away. Another thing is that once they get oily...they stay that way and leak.

Someone 'the same who make welded aluminum sb covers' should make a thick fab'd aluminum cover for the slant...

oh and for those who like torquing the snot out of everything, try a 1/4 ratchet...or a nut driver even.lol

I have an OLD Snap On "nut runner" that I like to use on stamped steel pans and covers. It's REAL fast but only goes down to around 8 LB FT. Looks like a skinny air ratchet. They stopped makin um in the early 70s.

-
Back