Cork or rubber?

-

BWDart

Reaction score
Which valve cover gaskets seal better? Tried the fel-pro from my rebuild kit, cork with some kind of black coating,
they are very stiff, and they leak.
Thanks Bruce

I have the rubber ones.... I have honestly had them on and off about 20 times and the still don't leak.

Leaks are often the valve covers and not the gaskets. If you are using the stock style make sure they have not been over torqued around the bolt holes (you want everything flat). Get some of those "Things" that go under the bolts that spread the pressure away from just the bolt hole.

If you have cast valve covers make sure everything is clean and oil free. I use 3M wax and grease remover (many other things would work just as well). Snug the bolts evenly and don't over tighten.

If you have a valve cover leak..

1. You did something wrong.
2. You have a bent valve cover flange.

The rubber are better I believe, from experience.

The cork also lends itself to some very unwelcome and greatly disturbing events, such as the overtightening of your aluminum valve covers (like Mopar perf., for example), and the subsequent cracking of the same when they get nice and hot. Peachy. Real peachy.

You can overtighten them, and have little idea that you've done it. I'll never buy them again.........and they leaked like crud.....just little bits, but really annoying.

Thanks guys
I got a rubber set will put it on this afternoon.
I always use a 1/4" drive on the covers to avoid over tightening. The bolts have the "things" on them. I'll check the covers again they looked straight but my eyes aren't what they used to be, I'll use a straight edge this time.

Thank you, I am sure this pertains to a slant also . :-D

-
Back