Correct 1962 Valiant Dash Knobs Color?

-

slant six

Do More With Less
Reaction score
Hello Sages,

I am looking to restore my '62 Wagon Dash binnacle and gauge bezel.

The heater/ defrost controls as well as the wiper knob and headlight knob is what I am trying to find out about. They are a pale yellow plastic... looking like the color of old teeth.

What is the correct color/ finish for these?
The'62 valiant brochure shows black... but I have never seen any evidence of black on my 3 examples.

Thank you for any help!

Greg

Hello Sages,

I am looking to restore my '62 Wagon Dash binnacle and gauge bezel.

The heater/ defrost controls as well as the wiper knob and headlight knob is what I am trying to find out about. They are a pale yellow plastic... looking like the color of old teeth.

What is the correct color/ finish for these?
The'62 valiant brochure shows black... but I have never seen any evidence of black on my 3 examples.

Thank you for any help!

Greg

Looks to me that the knobs should be Ivory white.

Krylon and Dupli-Color make paints in this shade for plastic if you want to restore the finish on your present switch knobs.

1691431123622.png

This paint will work well for your application.

1691431429850.png

Originally these knobs were an unusual light translucent color (wish I knew what to call the '62 color) See pic. with white '61 knob on left and opaque '62 heater button on right to show color difference. Always worth a good scrubbing with a toothbrush and comet before painting/replacement. You may be surprised. Have also had good luck using 2000 grit wet sand paper and a plastic specific polish on the broad flat surfaces of the shifter, heater, and radio buttons. Useable on the other knobs but much more labor intensive with all the peaks and valleys the knobs have. Have some extra '62 knobs if not restorable. PM me for specific needs if interested.

20230810_112027.jpg

Originally these knobs were an unusual light translucent color (wish I knew what to call the '62 color) See pic. with white '61 knob on left and opaque '62 heater button on right to show color difference. Always worth a good scrubbing with a toothbrush and comet before painting/replacement. You may be surprised. Have also had good luck using 2000 grit wet sand paper and a plastic specific polish on the broad flat surfaces of the shifter, heater, and radio buttons. Useable on the other knobs but much more labor intensive with all the peaks and valleys the knobs have. Have some extra '62 knobs if not restorable. PM me for specific needs if interested.

View attachment 1716125830
That button on the right looks like it has a white parchment pearl finish on it, very much like the white pearl upholstery color in 67-69 A-Body Mopars. That color is readily available as I bought it to finish my bucket seat hinge covers. Any Auto paint shop should be able to make it and usually in a spray bomb.

Thanks for the Ideas and Options guys, it's appreciated.

these knobs were an unusual light translucent color
Do the pushbuttons light up like the b-body ones?
My guess is no, as the Lancer knobs and pushbuttons were black.

On a side note, the original steering wheel from my 62 Dart is slightly translucent, unlike over-restored steering wheels, but the 62 Valiant wheel is not.

-
Back