Correct 340 Engine?

-

73cuda

Reaction score
You guys always seem to respond quickly to posts so I've got another.

I've got a 1971 Demon 340 project that has the #'s matching engine (according to the vin stamping on the block)

What's screwy is the casting on the block is 1969?
I would have expected a 1970 block - is this highly unusual or common to have such a block hanging around for that long?

Just curious..

sounds like you have a real early production car, w/ a left over 340 does it have X heads...You have one of the most sought after 340's made besides the 6 pak...hang on to her...Maybe I am wrong, someone will tell me if I am LOL...I have an original 70 duster matching 340 w/ 7-9-69 stamped on block....rev's like a son of a gun...and loves wide open throttle...good luck w/ it

Chrysler Corp. did a lot of strange things back in the day. And yes your engine block is probably from 1969. I've even see Dodge badges on a Plymouth right from the factory.

Thanks guys for keeping me sane...It's got J heads.

The engine assembly date code on the front of the block looks like it decodes to 10-4-1970 which makes sense as the door tag says the car was assembled 10-1970....car sequence = 166959 so I guess that's early production 1971?

It's an oily pig under there but I'm going to try and get to the drivers side of the block...maybe it's a TA block :)

I heard they used the leftover TA blocks in regular 340 cars. Now that would be cool.

Production for the next model year started the first week of August of the previous year at the Mopar factories, and the early production day cars did end up with any parts left over from the previous year.

My '72 Challenger was actually built 8/17/71, and shares a few parts with the '71 model year. Not many anymore, engine and most of the interior were replaced by a PO, but I'm guessing it used to be more (the '71 trim on the nose was added by me, not the factory btw).

-
Back