Correct cam and distributor gear combo

-

TripleL

Reaction score
I've heard\read different opinions on this. On a 360 magnum roller cam do I want a billet steel or ductile iron. What brand \ material distributor gear goes with each type. After talking with three different cam manufacturers they don't agree so this for the pros that know here. Thanks

Not a "pro", but my understanding is that it depends on the cam blank they use- if it's a billet cam you'll need a bronze drive gear; if it's an iron blank or regrind then a standard gear is okay. Standard on magnums is iron. Use the gear that each manufacturer recommends for their cam..
I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
A roller cam. steel, can use the steel gear. Crane has one, and I think others may.

This is the only one I found that held up with a high volume pump at over 8000 rpm.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-21535

This mopar style I sheared the bottom at the pump on two of them. Note the difference in price also. I never had any luck with the mopar style.

Mopar Performance Oil Pump Driveshaft and Distributor Gear Sets P3690874

If your using a billet cam you'll need a bronze gear. any other cam use the one below. Its the pump end that fails. Install a new bushing and ream it perfect to size. Heat is what kills them when they are tight. High volume pumps and rpm's are their enemy.

Milodon Oil Pump Driveshafts 21530

This is the only one I found that held up with a high volume pump at over 8000 rpm.

Milodon Oil Pump Driveshafts 21535

This mopar style I sheared the bottom at the pump on two of them. Note the difference in price also. I never had any luck with the mopar style.

Mopar Performance Oil Pump Driveshaft and Distributor Gear Sets P3690874

If your using a billet cam you'll need a bronze gear. any other cam use the one below. Its the pump end that fails. Install a new bushing and ream it perfect to size. Heat is what kills them when they are tight. High volume pumps and rpm's are their enemy.

Milodon Oil Pump Driveshafts 21530
Thanks

Cast iron crate roller cam, regular gear, tappered hardened tip and pinned gear is the mp version. And it's for the high volume pump or a high rpm application.
Crane Coated steel gear works for billet steel cam cores. I use one.
Bronze is the old way. Bronze is also for billet steel core cams but wears over time and the particles go I to your oil and a magnet wont catch'em.

-
Back