Correct date code for 69 340 intake?

-

dbphemi

Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a factory intake for my 69 340 swinger. My fender tag is Mia so I don't know the build date of the car . The cast date on the block appears to be around june of 69 but I could be reading that incorrectly lol. Can anyone help ? Thanks.

That's got to be a late build if it's got a June 69 cast engine in it.

Yeah I was thinking that too. The block only has the factory letter and then the sequence number instead of the whole vin like most other 69's I've seen. I bought it 20 years ago and it had been sitting in a barn for 15 years with a spun rod bearing. How late in the year did they build 69's b4 they switched over to 1970 model?

I believe i read that the changeover was the last few days of July, but can't recall if that was just the line or across the board. However imo, i think April or later on date would satisfy most numbers guys.

get the casting numbers off the block.
Also get the assy date from the front left side near the head mounting. There should be a machined surface there with numbers normally starting with FW340P(XXXXXXXX).
The first 4 digits are assy date using the Chrysler 10,000 day code and the second 3 or 4 are the seq num of assy.

Yeah I was thinking that too. The block only has the factory letter and then the sequence number instead of the whole vin like most other 69's I've seen. I bought it 20 years ago and it had been sitting in a barn for 15 years with a spun rod bearing. How late in the year did they build 69's b4 they switched over to 1970 model?

i did a Google search and if i did it right build date is May 5th 1969. so i guess it was built in may! i was going on memory on what the casting date said. i guess my memory is bad. ive got the motor under a work bench cant get to the casting date easily. Anyone know how close to engine build did the cars usually get assembled ?

you got it!

F = 1970
W = cast at Windsor plant
340= engine size 340
P = Premium fuel
Day 2838 = Monday, May 5, 1969.
I would say +/- 3 to 6 months from casting to assembly from what I've seen.
last 4 is the seq number for the day

i did a Google search and if i did it right build date is May 5th 1969. so i guess it was built in may! i was going on memory on what the casting date said. i guess my memory is bad. ive got the motor under a work bench cant get to the casting date easily. Anyone know how close to engine build did the cars usually get assembled ?

-
Back