Correct finish/color for these parts?

-

GSS

Reaction score
I believe most of these parts are chassis black or natural steel. Do I have these correct?

Chassis black:
K member
torsion bars
battery tray
axle housing/backing plates
sway bar
engine mounts
trans crossmember
bumper brackets
strut rods

Natural steel:
upper control arm
axle bumper stop plate and bolts
leaf springs
lower rear shock mounts
shackles
axle U-bolts
brake drums
drive shaft

What product do you use to paint and/or protect the natural steel finishes?

Also, what did they do on the backside of the fenders? Just primer?

Thanks!

Eastwood 2K bare steel is what I’ve used for the bare steel parts. For the battery tray it should be body color not sure on the correct color for the sway bar as I’ve seen them both bare steel and chassis black.

IMHO, if it is rusty it was bare metal.

Everything else would have been painted

Seymour makes a great stainless steel spray paint (#16-054) that works good to replicate the new bare metal parts.

Battery tray Body color.

Eastwood 2K bare steel is what I’ve used for the bare steel parts. For the battery tray it should be body color not sure on the correct color for the sway bar as I’ve seen them both bare steel and chassis black.

Interesting, I'm finding black battery trays probably 20:1 over body color trays when I search for photos. They would have been painted with the body, right? I don't recall ever seeing an unpainted spot when I remove a tray. I might stick with black. I think it would look better..

Thanks!

Interesting, I'm finding black battery trays probably 20:1 over body color trays when I search for photos. They would have been painted with the body, right? I don't recall ever seeing an unpainted spot when I remove a tray. I might stick with black. I think it would look better..

Thanks!
My battery tray was black in my 75.

Thanks!
You may be seeing a lot of black reproduction trays in those photos since they are so often replaced. Unless your looking at vintage photos of course. Either way, I think black would look fine.

One more, how about the leaf spring hangers? I am guessing they were finished the same way as the leafs, either natural or black??

Am I right about the fender backsides being just primed?

If anyone comes across any reference photos - clean, unrestored cars, I would like to see them!!

Thanks!

Were bumper brackets primer grey like the floor pans and subframes?

And one more, how were the brake drums finished?

My battery tray was black in my 75.
What was left of the recently discarded battery tray in my 75 had clearly been body color. When I got the car years ago it was only five years old and the tray was original. Any chance yours had been replaced at one time?

What was left of the recently discarded battery tray in my 75 had clearly been body color. When I got the car years ago it was only five years old and the tray was original. Any chance yours had been replaced at one time?
I just looked at mine and it appears like the top half is body color and the bottom half is black. I guess it was black and they installed it before the painted the body so the top got the color of the car

I just looked at mine and it appears like the top half is body color and the bottom half is black. I guess it was black and they installed it before the painted the body so the top got the color of the car
Interesting, I wonder if some more of the survivor owners can chime in?

The correct battery tray for 75(and probably 76)is a bit longer than the earlier trays by several inches. This was to accommodate a new larger capacity battery for those years. They’re rather hard to come by so if your car has one it’s either original to the car or someone went the extra mile to track down the correct replacement. None of the aftermarket guys currently make one.

The correct battery tray for 75(and probably 76)is a bit longer than the earlier trays by several inches. This was to accommodate a new larger capacity battery for those years. They’re rather hard to come by so if your car has one it’s either original to the car or someone went the extra mile to track down the correct replacement. None of the aftermarket guys currently make one.
It appears to be original it's got a big rust hole in it

-
Back