Correct Oil Filter for SB

-
A fishy pointed out that you have pressure to the valvetrain, so the pump is working. Oil comes up to the cam from the main bearings then to the rocker arms So you are getting some oil to the mains. Still sounds like a leaking or missing plug, rod bearings, or the rod side clearances. All can be checked by taking off the pan.
Since you have hydraulic lifters we know your lifter galleys are getting enough oil or your lifters would bleed down and tic.

Thanks for the great pictures!
Is there a way using a small telescoping mirror to see both of the galley plugs and the backside of the engine through the distributor hole?

Am I right in assuming the pipe plugs on the very back of the engine lineup with the galley plugs on the actual oil galleys?

bwhitejr

The only plug you can see through the distributor hole is the one fishy posted pictures of.

Thanks for the great pictures!
Is there a way using a small telescoping mirror to see both of the galley plugs and the backside of the engine through the distributor hole?

Am I right in assuming the pipe plugs on the very back of the engine lineup with the galley plugs on the actual oil galleys?

bwhitejr

Yes they do line up with the oil galleys but Bill's right that the only one you can see is the one I too a pic of. The others are screwed into the back of the engine between the engine and trans. If it was one of them that was missing you'd know it real quick cause it'd be spewing oil out on the ground.

Its the same size as the one under the oil filter. Maybe take that out and get it matched up.

well we figured it out, its 3/8" NPT if anyone needs to know, fishy68, and everyone thanks for the help on this one, the oil pressure is finally where it should be, at about 75 psi cold idle and spiking around 80 when revved....

This is great. I’m having the same low oil pressure problem with my 318. I had lifter noise on the right bank and presumed it was caused by low psi. I installed a HV pump, but that made no difference. I’ve pulled my motor out and found that the caps in the front lifter gallies are missing. Has any one ever had a problem with a remote oil filter system causing low psi? Because of the headers I couldn’t use a 90 deg. I’ll check all the other things out too and hope to get better psi.

This is great. I’m having the same low oil pressure problem with my 318. I had lifter noise on the right bank and presumed it was caused by low psi. I installed a HV pump, but that made no difference. I’ve pulled my motor out and found that the caps in the front lifter gallies are missing. Has any one ever had a problem with a remote oil filter system causing low psi? Because of the headers I couldn’t use a 90 deg. I’ll check all the other things out too and hope to get better psi.

Just to let you know those missing plugs in the front don't affect alot because the cam plate is bolted over them and blocks 95% or more of the oil that can come out of them. How do I know? I had a 360 once that had the same low pressure problem and I took it apart and found the front ones missing and thought great I found the problem. I put them in and put it back together and it only had about 3-4 lbs. more pressure.

I did know of one fellow that had a problem with a remote filter adapter causing low oil pressure. It was because the lines were hooked up backwards. Chek them out. You might get real lucky and it'd be an easy fix.

I got looking into some of the suggestions and I also had the plug missing inside the distributor bore. I’ve been messing with this for months, thanks for the help.

My 318 has had super low pressure since I bought it used about 10 years ago. I never did anything about the problem because I figured that if I blow it up I'd have a good reason to go hunting for a 340 or a 360. The suggestions in this thread might be enough for me to start looking at the issue.

Thanks everyone.

the fix is easy, but hard to complete, we had to make our own tool to do it by cutting about an 1.5" piece of the appropriate allen key off and buying a low angle ratchet wrench to slide on it to get it in the small distributor hole, it is made more difficult by the risk of dropping the plug down the motor!!!

the fix is easy, but hard to complete, we had to make our own tool to do it by cutting about an 1.5" piece of the appropriate allen key off and buying a low angle ratchet wrench to slide on it to get it in the small distributor hole, it is made more difficult by the risk of dropping the plug down the motor!!!

It looked hard. Did you get it in? If so how's the oil pressure?

Fishy,

Yes we got the plug installed and the engine now has 65lbs of oil pressure.:-D
Thanks for all the help.

Now, on to the brake problem.

bwhitejr

-
Back