Stock weight (3700-4000 lbs?)
727 w/ Trans-Go
440 Source heads
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
750 carb (Haven't picked one yet)
Comp XE-274 cam
230/236 duration at .50
3.91 sure grip

I've been calling around trying to figure out the proper torque converter recommendation for my 1969 Charger (I know not an A body). I called Summit first, and they recommended a Hughes converter Hughes Performance Street Master Torque Converters 24-25

So to get a second opinion, I called Hughes directly, and they recommended Hughes Performance Pro-Street 30 Series Torque Converters 24-30

My gut is to go with what Hughes recommended since I've had good luck with them before, but is the 24-30 too much for a mainly street car?

I contacted PTC, Dynamic, and a few others. I was originally going with PTC, but they estimated over a month until I could get the converter.

Any ideas on which direction to go with?

Correct for what; street or strip?
Look at the camcard at what range the cam is designed for and starts to work.

I personally would start out with a stock convertor and see how you like it.
Too much convertor on a fairly stockish engine will make a transmission feel like it's filled with butter.

To the O.P: Edge ,from Cali does good stuff, so does Turbo Action
Looking at your specs a tight 9.5 , or a 10" 3200-3600 would be my choice ,ask about torque multiple.

Here's some details on the car.
1969 Charger
Stock weight (3700-4000 lbs?)
727 w/ Trans-Go
440 Source heads
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
750 carb (Haven't picked one yet)
Comp XE-274 cam
230/236 duration at .50
3.91 sure grip

I've been calling around trying to figure out the proper torque converter recommendation for my 1969 Charger (I know not an A body). I called Summit first, and they recommended a Hughes converter Hughes Performance Street Master Torque Converters 24-25

So to get a second opinion, I called Hughes directly, and they recommended Hughes Performance Pro-Street 30 Series Torque Converters 24-30

My gut is to go with what Hughes recommended since I've had good luck with them before, but is the 24-30 too much for a mainly street car?

I contacted PTC, Dynamic, and a few others. I was originally going with PTC, but they estimated over a month until I could get the converter.

Any ideas on which direction to go with?
No knock against Summit, but Hughes actually makes the converter, while Summit is a re-seller. Past experience has shown me that while the parts guy at the parts store MAY know something, selling converters is a sideline with the Company. While with PTC, DYNAMIC, HUGHES and others, converters are their main business and typically the person on the phone has tons of converter experience, or will pass you on to someone with more knowledge.
My recommendation is to send your complete specs to a variety of converter builders(which you've started to do) and compare what they say will work best in YOUR APPLICATION.

My opinion... go higher stall speed rather than lower. I have a 9" 5500 stall quality converter in my 55 with a similar 440/727 and 3.73 gears. The car weighs 3800 (4000 with me) and runs high 13s, no, it doesn't run around at 4 or 5 grand on the street. The loose converter does mask the firm shifts at part throttle, but it sure allows the big block to get into the power band.

I guess the question is do you want to drive like an old man and try to get fuel economy, or have a car that performs?

FB_IMG_1528287657820.jpg

SPZ_6377.jpg

a stock Roadrunner or Magnum converter should be fine. a J converter if you are racing... I think there is one for sale here on FABO right now.

a stock Roadrunner or Magnum converter should be fine. a J converter if you are racing... I think there is one for sale here on FABO right now.
Good luck,on finding a "J"... that's a piece of art work....

Listing for a friend. 9” 727 Torque Converter, 069J with ‘67 and Later Splines for $300. Will be available at Chryslers at Carlisle from late 12 July-early 15 July. Start a conversation with me, include your contact info, and I will put you in contact with him.

View attachment 1715197154

View attachment 1715197161

View attachment 1715197162

View attachment 1715197163

Good luck,on finding a "J"... that's a piece of art work....

Voila !

I was thinking the same as far as going with the guys who actually work with the converter companies. Just wanted to ask around and see if it would do well in a mostly street application. Thanks for the input everyone, I'm likely going with the Hughes at this point.

if you look close at my avatar you will see a 70 Charger SE behind the 68 Barracuda...( it was my first car) a 383 Magnum car originally I ran a 440-6 and a solid 550ish roller at the time of that pic..(still had the 383)... I switched back and forth between the stock Magnum TC and a J-converter.
the J was about 3/10s quicker at the track. both ran great on street.

-
Back