could someone clarify something for me

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I had been wondering about this since yesterday. In the pics of the car show I posted yesterday there is the orange 1972 Roadrunner that parked next to me. I thought it odd that he had a 360 in it. I told my son that they didn't come out with a 360 till late 73 for the 74 year cars. They didn't make them for 72 year cars did they. And why would you put a 360 in a Roadrunner that looks like that anyway. I would have put a 383 or a 440 in it. But thinking about it, this guy who owned it loaned a friend of his some money. don't know how much but he put the RR up as collateral. After a short time, the guy told him to just keep the car and call the loan. I guess the 360 was in it when he got it because he doesn't have enough sense to work on it. But someone please clarify for me that that car didn't come with a 360 in it. that has been bothering me all night. Bill

that's what I thought. they didn't start putting them in till 73. and wasn't it till late 73. didn't they put 340's in early 73 and go to the 360 in late 73.

the book i have shows the roadrunner in 72 to have a 400 as a base ....which makes sense bcoz 71 was the last year for a 383.....the only car that shows a 360 in 72 is the fury and C-body line and it was only available as a 2 bbl .....the 360 didnt get a 4 bbl itill 74

Attachments

• CIMG2705.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 240
  • CIMG2707.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 257
ok Rani. thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought they came out late 73 with a 360. maybe they made it in late 73 but for the 74 model year cars.

My 1'st car was a 73 fury 2door with a 360 2bbl. would smoke the tires all the way down the street with 6 people in it!! Needless to say I went through quite a bit of motor mounts. After owning it I was a mopar fan for life !!!!

First year for the 360 was 71. I had a 69 date coded 360 block years ago and have seen a few since. They didn't come in the Road Runner that early as far as I know, though.

First year for the 360 was 71. I had a 69 date coded 360 block years ago and have seen a few since. They didn't come in the Road Runner that early as far as I know, though.

This last Saturday, I talked to a guy who is selling a 1971 360 2bbl from a truck. I thought trucks got the first 360s.

Yup, Rani is right, 74 was the first year a E-body or B-body had a 360, think A-body too. It was used in many other cars earlier, I have a early 360, date code on the block is late summer of 1970 :glasses7:

This last Saturday, I talked to a guy who is selling a 1971 360 2bbl from a truck. I thought trucks got the first 360s.

I think they came in trucks and C bodies first, but their debut year was 71......whatever the hell they came in. lol

Sorry but there were a few b bodies built in 73 with 360's from the factory. I know that for a fact as there is one here where I live that is still owned by the original owner. I have known the car from the time it was new so I can assure you that it is real. Perhaps it helped that the owner worked for Chrysler?

71 was first year for the 360 and only trucks had them for a few years then like 72 or 73 C bodies got them but only with 2 bbls
I believe the 360 got its first 4 bbl in 74 and it was the Thermoquad

73 Was the last year they had the 340 in A, B, or E
Only A, B, or E to ever have a 360 was 74 and up. It replaced the 340 and was the "HP" motor

71 was first year for the 360 and only trucks had them for a few years then like 72 or 73 C bodies got them but only with 2 bbls
I believe the 360 got its first 4 bbl in 74 and it was the Thermoquad

73 Was the last year they had the 340 in A, B, or E
Only A, B, or E to ever have a 360 was 74 and up. It replaced the 340 and was the "HP" motor

sorry, but wrong on this. The Road Runner I know is a 73 and has a 360 four barrel under the hood.

A good friend of mine got a brand new 73 Roadrunner in August of 1973. It had a 340 in it. He loaned it to his girlfriend and she fell asleep driving on the interstate and totalled it. When he went to replace it in Sept he could only get a 74 and there was no more 340. It had been replaced with the 360. He was bummed but ordered the car with a 360, otherwise almost an exact replacement.

all I know is that I have seen the car a number of times and like I said it is still owned by the original owner and is numbers matching.

all I know is that I have seen the car a number of times and like I said it is still owned by the original owner and is numbers matching.
Im gonna have to call BS until i am shown proof. The only way it is likely if it is a very very late production 73 or the owner is flat out wrong and its a 74

i'd need to see a tender fag and a build shart...i know about never say never with mopar butt i would have to see proof to believe that....there's prolly some explaination...no e58 in 73...

I often wondered if they were a car that was not destined for the general public, but because he worked for Chrysler was able to get it?

Strange things happen. There was a 318 duster in this area that was way too fast for a 318. Upon closer inspection it was a 340 with a two barrel carb on it, and it had come from the factory that way!

-
Back