could someone please get me a measurement, bench seat 72 dart

-

72Dodge

Reaction score
Could someone with a '72 Dart (OR '70-'71, but please tell me what you have in case they are different) with a bench seat please get me one of these two measurements?

What I'm trying to figure out is if my bench seat is really back as far as it should go. I'm 5'7" and can drive it OK, but would prefer it to be back an inch or two. It would be hard for anyone taller to drive it. That doesn't seem right. But, it appears to be all the way back on the rails, I can't see anything wrong. So I'm trying to confirm what the real measurement should be.

I need one of these measurements:

- bottom edge of the front of the ashtray to the front edge of the bench seat (ruler will be diagonal), as shown in first pic. (I have 11")

- outward most edge of dash frame under glove box door straight back to the bench seat back, as shown in the 2nd two pics. (I have 28")

THANK YOU!

Attachments

• IMG_6048.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_6050.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_6051.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 177
OK, yeah, I would expect '71 Scamp to be the same. If I had another 1.5" like you have, I'd be a lot more comfortable.

Thank you very much.

Even though I'm thinking I won't get a different answer, can anyone else please confirm (I'm hoping to get a '72 Swinger measurement also, just in case for some crazy reason it changed in '72, though I think that's unlikely.)

I know my Swinger is an old lady car (/6, auto, bench), but they couldn't all be set up for little old ladies!!!

Curious but did you try to manually slide the seat back? My cable/wire broke and I have to have my GF reach under the passenger side and flip the lever while I do the drivers side. Also make sure that you dont have one of the seat belt buckles wedged between the seat and the driveshaft hump, behind the front seat. I did that once and my seat was stuck all the way forward. Took me a few days to figure out what was going on.

I didn't try that, but the lever seems to work as it should. I'll check that out though, thanks for the tip.

I even had my wife sit on pass side while we both threw all our weight backward as it slid to try to unjam it if something was stuck (don't really like the brute force method, but I was stumped). I can see that the sliders are all the way back on their tracks as far as they will go (should have got a pic), so unless the whole seat was mounted too far forward somehow (looks normal to me), everything looks fine.

I use both of the seat belt buckles, but I'll check that out too, never even thought of an obstruction like that.

I figure when I install the new carpets, I'll go through this thoroughly, but if there was an easy fix, I'd like to find it now.

Well. I'd look under the car and see if by chance the seat bolts are where they are supposed to be. Could be a shorter person had it moved forward, maybe.

If it appears normal from the underside then either the seat isn't moving far enough or it's as it should be.

When you have it out for carpet then you can inspect it at that point.

Warning: DO NOT activate the release lever if your hand is anywhere near the track when you have it out of the car.

Don't ask me how I know. :silent:

Yeah, the bolts are in their stock location. Thanks for the tip on biting seat tracks!

I have a 'Tag' on a string for a standard 64 Fury bench seat that states 6-way adj. seat. I think the dealership could adjust seat mounting holes to seat tracks, Maybee the same?

Hey Pete!

So you mean maybe the seat itself is adjustable to different positions on the tracks before mounting in the car? Or something like that? Could be. I guess that's the sort of thing I'll have to look for when I have the seat out for carpets. I actually have a newly covered set of seats in the basement I can examine... they are from a '75, but maybe similar.

Thanks

I just looked in the 64 owners manual;can be adjusted by owner or dealer, up, down, forward,back,and tilt...not sure about 72, no info with my Fury

Thanks for the tip. I'll check the 72 chassis manual, never even thought of that. And even if the 72 A isn't like that, it's still an interesting fact to know.

a 72 swinger had two different available seats ...the deluxe with the headrests and the standard with integrated headrests ....the standard one almost looks like high back buckets from outside the car.

I have a 72 swinger with the standard bench like the one in the original 72 ad....not sure if that would help

Attachments

• 72_Valiant_Duster_6.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 161
I know my Swinger is an old lady car (/6, auto, bench), but they couldn't all be set up for little old ladies!!!

NOOOOO not old lady setup. :D ......I actually took the bench out of mine and had buckets in the car for about 3 months ........I even welded the plates on the floor for buckets .....after 3 months of driving around I realized that I wanted the bench back ........I had tossed the original bench and I had to locate one 150+ miles away and had to send my cousin on a trek to get it for me since I couldn't handle the regret of wanting the bench back and have it back the way it was .......something to think about LOL

Mine is the deluxe with the headrests. I don't now if there would be any difference in the position. If you have time and could take the measurements, it might still tell me something though. I'm almost positive mine should be back further.

NOOOOO not old lady setup. :D ......I actually took the bench out of mine and had buckets in the car for about 3 months ........I even welded the plates on the floor for buckets .....after 3 months of driving around I realized that I wanted the bench back ........I had tossed the original bench and I had to locate one 150+ away and had to send my cousin on a trek to get it for me since I couldn't handle the regret of wanting the bench back and have it back the way it was .......something to think about LOL

Oh, no, it was just a joke about the seat positioning :) You know, how little old ladies always sit way forward and you can sometimes barely see their eyes over the dashboard, and you wonder how they can even see!

I like the bench, it's not going away, trust me! Especially with my seat pattern than looks like one of Jim Rockford's sports jackets!

Oh, no, it was just a joke about the seat positioning :) You know, how little old ladies always sit way forward and you can sometimes barely see their eyes over the dashboard, and you wonder how they can even see!

not just old ladies ....im the same way ......I usually sit on a small throw pillow when driving to get a better view.

I used to have a 70 sport fury and I really couldn't see over the dash which is why I got rid of the car ....and E-bodies are horrible for that reason. LOL

something is goofy ......I went out and did the measurements same as you and on my 72 swinger I got 14" in the same place you got 11 and where you got 28 inches ...mine shows 31 inches.

I have a 72 demon in the same yard with same standard bench and the demon actually had 14 and half and 31 and a half ......

both cars measured with the seat back as far as they could go.

I could understand a half inch of tolerance but not 3 ...something seems wrong.

Yeah, something is wrong. Too late to go mess with it tonight, but I see I definitely need to look deeper into this. That was the main thing I wanted to know.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

I can't wait to get that 3" (or however much) back! This is the car I want to drive all the way down Rt 66 with my son (when he's a little older), and I was really second guessing that plan with the seat like it is!!!!

Keep in mind that the Swinger and Demon have 3" differences in the wheelbase (111" vs 108"). I'm not sure how that affects the seat positioning.....

Interesting thread & wondering what you find!

Keep in mind that the Swinger and Demon have 3" differences in the wheelbase (111" vs 108"). I'm not sure how that affects the seat positioning.....

Interesting thread & wondering what you find!

I think the difference starts on the rear floor pan section back ....there is a seam in the floor about 2 or 3 inches in front of the back seat ......<<<there and back

I agree Rani, just something strange about the seat locations on the 2 cars. Maybe the rear seat legroom was reduced for the Demons :scratch:

-
Back