Counterfeit Carter M6866 mechanical fuel pumps being sold on Amazon. Buyer beware!

-
Good information.

IMG_5894.gif

Filters are best installed on the pressure side, not supply side.
No, not at all. That’s the exact factory setup. In fact there is a threaded hard line between the pump outlet and carb inlet. Parts book shows some generic diagram but that’s not for this one.

In fact, as mentioned,I bought this car new, have owned this car for 51 plus years.

Often a small filter is in the carb inlet on some different models

Last edited:
From the factory there was a filter on the supply side. The line going from the fuel pump to the carb was one solid piece of steel tubing threaded on both ends. It is smarter to keep the filter on the supply side so that you can use a solid piece of tubing from the pressure side to the carb. This minimizes the potential for a fuel leak on the top of the engine from either the fuel filter or the inevitable rubber hoses that attach to it. The way the factory did it meant that most old rubber related fuel leaks would be under the engine, less threat of a fire there.

From the factory there was a filter on the supply side. The line going from the fuel pump to the carb was one solid piece of steel tubing threaded on both ends. It is smarter to keep the filter on the supply side so that you can use a solid piece of tubing from the pressure side to the carb. This minimizes the potential for a fuel leak on the top of the engine from either the fuel filter or the inevitable rubber hoses that attach to it. The way the factory did it meant that most old rubber related fuel leaks would be under the engine, less threat of a fire there.
The odd thing is, I have looked at 71 models and they have the filter after the pump but it’s fastened into a short rubber hose with the same clamps right next to the carb. Definitely easier to create a leak in the top of the engine. Im not sure when that changed but mine is as you mentioned, threaded hard line from pump out to carb in.

I have a 72 Duster 340 and the fuel line is solid from the fuel pump to the Thermoquad, the filter is before the pump, and that is how it came from the factory.

I have a 72 Duster 340 and the fuel line is solid from the fuel pump to the Thermoquad, the filter is before the pump, and that is how it came from the factory.
Yes. Same as mine. That’s for 72. But the odd year 71 with a thermoquad air metered vs 72 and after, so called solid fuel, has the other setup with the filter up by the carb. So when they changed the carb design from 71 to 72 I guess someone figured out the solid hard line from pump to carburetor was better and safer.

The picture below is from this site of a 71? maybe, with the filter after the pump. So I’m not sure if this is completely accurate for a 71, but if it were mine I’d probably retrofit the 72 hard line.

IMG_4673.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is the skinny on these pumps from Carter.

I have been getting a 70 Dart Swinger that I bought that has been in storage for 30 years started and it has set under a load of horder crap since and never been started.

I have gotten to the fuel pump side of it and it ran me across this thread.

I will cut it short.
Ordered a pump from Oriellys auto parts and it was $33 bucks and that kinda upset me, i tried to price match and they would not do it because they said it was a lifetime pump, I said I did not need that and they said that was the only one available,

I purchased that pump from Oriellys and it still did not set well with me as I knew there where cheaper out there. I was not going to be able to work on the car for a week or so I ordered the Carter pump from Rockauto.

I compared the pics from this thread and the instructions as well and both of these pumps had the exact same instructions but paper and gaskets are different.

Pump castings are different.

I called the main warehouse for Orielly's Autopart's in Springfield Mo. and spoke with a warehouse guy that sent me to a tech guy and the tech guy told me that the pump was sourced from Curtis based on the numbers.

I then called Carter Pumps and got ahold of what seemed like a person in India and asked for a tech then was patched to a very nice man that told me that both pumps where made by Carter.
I said one was made in Korea and one in Mexico and he said that would be correct and there was a third pump that they had made in China.

The beef is that they had these pumps made by a Korean company that went belly up due to covid.

They then had a Chinese company make them during the covid period and the pumps are now made in Mexico in a plant owned by Carter.
I will attach pics of the two pumps one Mexico made and the other is Korean.

The Mexico pump is the newest and what Carter is selling now, It will be on the right in all the pics. I think it looks to be better quality and it is from Rock Auto at about $12 bucks plus shipping.
The pump on the left is the Korean pump and is no longer produced but will be sold as there are pumps left over from pre covid.

I do not have pics of the China pump but would stay clear of that one. Carter only used these during the covid period.

Origan of the pumps will be marked on the bottom of the boxes.

Hope this helps.

IMG_7309.jpg

IMG_7310.jpg

IMG_7311.jpg

IMG_7312.jpg

IMG_7313.jpg

-
Back