couple o' mods and questions

-

gunship

Reaction score
I am going to be dropping my Transmission for a rebuild. While I am at it, I will be swapping in a stall converter and new gears. My questions are pretty simple and I have done some research but opinions are always good to hear.
I have a 3.55 ring and pinion set just the gears is there anything else I need for the swap?
What company has the lowest prices on 2500+ rpm converters?
I have an open differential right now and as a poor teenager cant afford a locker or sure-grip, is there any old hot rodder tricks short of welding the spider gears to get the desired effect?

Oh sorry about that. Its a 904 mounted to a 318 magnum running out to a 8 1/4 running 2.71 gears

Changing gears is the time to add Sure Grip. Try to find in a pick your own parts place. Last used in 95 dakota. Some people have used /6 TC. If you have acess to scales jack 5% more at the right rear then the left.
John

Not to start a flame, What's this talk of TCI being crap? I've got the Breakaway 2500 behind my 360, it rips. Hughes is also good. Summit racing is the place to go, make your selection wisely. When it comes down to it, regardless of maker TC's get the parts from the same few vendors and you get what you pay for.

I have a BTE converter I will be taking out that I can sell you for a904

There is No way I am going to be welding my gears. Just looking for safer alternatives

"What exactly do you mean by 5% more?"
If the LR is 750# the RR should be 785#. To get more on the RR raise the LF and/or lower the RF or some of both.
John

There is No way I am going to be welding my gears. Just looking for safer alternatives

That is your only alternative other than a sure grip or a spool. Spool will not do well on the street, so you are back to suregrip or welding the spiders.

Save your pennies and do it right.

I am going to be dropping my Transmission for a rebuild. While I am at it, I will be swapping in a stall converter and new gears. My questions are pretty simple and I have done some research but opinions are always good to hear.
I have a 3.55 ring and pinion set just the gears is there anything else I need for the swap?
What company has the lowest prices on 2500+ rpm converters?
I have an open differential right now and as a poor teenager cant afford a locker or sure-grip, is there any old hot rodder tricks short of welding the spider gears to get the desired effect?

I know how it is to want to do the upgrades, but if you are going to do it, do it once and right the first time. I would suggest saving your money and get a quality converter and a suregrip. That way you don't have to pull it apart and do it again. Lowest prices are good for the wallet, but not so good for longevity and performance.

If your tranny is good I would wait on that and get your rear set up right. Then move on the the trans rebuild and a quality converter.

Trans isn't good so I am trying to get the converter done while its out but I don't have the gears to back up a new converter either.
now it kind of comes down to brand name converter or a suregrip

OK, here is an idea. You are going to rebuild the trans? If so check with the shop and see if they can get you a Daaco factory high stall converter. That should be reasonably priced. Then maybe you can squeeze the gears.

If not then do the gears later. What engine are you running? Is it stock?

I have done some mods to my engine and had to get by last year with a 2.76 open, granted it wasn't as fun as the upgraded rear and 3.55's but I got to drive it just the same. This winter I will be looking at rebuilding my trans and putting in a converter.

One step at a time.

The engine is slightly modified (cam, intake, magnum heads)
I already have the gears, I just need the sure-grip carrier.
I know I will get what I pay for but are the hog or ebay TC's really that bad?

I can only tell you what I have read and from popular opinion and knowledge from folks on the board. I was going to buy an off the shelf unit until I studied it a little.

I think I would rather get a converter made to work with my combo than gamble on something and then have to spend the money again plus do the work again.

That's why I have had to do it one step at a time, because I don't have a money tree in my backyard either.

If the converter is good in your trans, rebuild the trans and pop it back in. Save your money for the suregrip and the new converter and swap em out at the same time. Maybe put a shift kit in while your there on the trans.

I guess it all depends on you wallet. You might find a suregrip from someone here on the cheap or Craig's list. I would suggest the clutch type if you can find one, they are rebuild-able.

-
Back