Couple of questions ...

-

Cuda416

Reaction score
98 5.9 from a Durango and a 904 from a V8 car going into a 65 valiant..

1. Car came with a 3 speed manual with a ball & trunnion style drive shaft and a 7-1/4 rear. What is a suitable replacement for the dive shaft? My understanding is the 66 had a slip yoke style, will that work? We'll eventually swap out the rear for an 8.8 and will obviously need to shorten and re-balance whatever drive shaft is in at that time but in the mean time, what are some good options?

2. Radiator and Water pump. We're changing the front to LA style. The lower connections all appear to be on the passenger side, but the v8 radiators are seem to have the bottom connection on the drivers side. What obvious thing am I missing?

Here is an example Valiant (65-66) Radiator

3. Torque converter. The one we got with the 904 has what looks like a small weight welded to one side, so i am assuming this is for a typical externally balanced engine with a neutral flex-plate. If that's correct, then I believe I cannot use the factory magnum flex-plate and need to replace it with a neutral unit, ya? Not sure how to identify the TC so any tips there will help.

20181229_160713-2.jpg

Any and all tips/comments appreciated.

Thanks

-C

On your converter, that looks like a balance weight for the converter itself, not an external balance for the engine, those are welded on the flex plate side. On your water pump/timing cover, up until 1969 the small blocks were driver side water pump inlet and cast iron water pump, 1970 and newer they switched to passenger side with aluminum water pump. As far as drive shaft, probably going to have to measure once motor/trans are in.

On your converter, that looks like a balance weight for the converter itself, not an external balance for the engine, those are welded on the flex plate side. On your water pump/timing cover, up until 1969 the small blocks were driver side water pump inlet and cast iron water pump, 1970 and newer they switched to passenger side with aluminum water pump. As far as drive shaft, probably going to have to measure once motor/trans are in.

Convertor is low stall or LS lock up style.
Also a neutral balance unit.

Thanks, sounds like this TC will at least get us going for now as long as I use the factory flex plate, or an appropriate magnum aftermarket one.

On the radiator, that clears things up. Looks like I need something that looks like this..
(66-74) Dodge Dart 22" Core Small Block Radiator

On the drive shaft, I'm going to need a slip yoke to measure the length, correct?

Thanks again for the help

-C

A slip yoke would be best way to measure, I have seen some online charts with driveshaft lengths with various motor/trans and rear combos also.

There is no such thing as a 66-74 radiator. The bottom outlet moved from the driver side to the passenger side in 1970.

yes these men gave u . 2+2 advice. weights on all mopar parts are 2 balance that product. ie that part. then they all work together. drive shafts that takes internal trans repacing. the one you need to measure is miss matched look and u can find . or stop have custom made. slip joint were on all early mopars .late 64 all 65 had slip joints . to get 63 or some . u have a miss matched stuff.

yes these men gave u . 2+2 advice. weights on all mopar parts are 2 balance that product. ie that part. then they all work together. drive shafts that takes internal trans repacing. the one you need to measure is miss matched look and u can find . or stop have custom made. slip joint were on all early mopars .late 64 all 65 had slip joints . to get 63 or some . u have a miss matched stuff.

I'm not sure what "2+2" advice means but I know for a fact that all mopar parts are NOT balanced individually. For a 5.9 magnum, which is externally balanced, you have to have a harmonic balancer that is balanced to work WITH the internals of the 360. You also have to have either a flex-plate that is specifically balanced for a 5.9 magnum and a neutral balanced TC, or a TC with a weight, and a neutral flex plate. Don't use them on a 5.9 and it will shake itself apart.

The "slip joint" you are referring to is not the same thing as a "slip yoke". The "slip joint" is what I called the "ball and trunnion" drive shaft, and is the correct term. A "slip yoke" is what's used to connect a "standard" drive shaft to the transmission. The former was 65 and older on A bodies, the latter 66 and newer. The trunnion style of connection has no fore and aft movement and relies on the ball and trunnion style drive shaft to "adjust" for distance variations etc. The slip yoke on later transmissions, does this in stead of the drive shaft.

Thanks for your input.

There is no such thing as a 66-74 radiator. The bottom outlet moved from the driver side to the passenger side in 1970.

With respect to a v8, you might be right, but slant 6's, which is what this 65' car had, have the connections low on the passenger side, which is exactly the config for the 70 and later units. So, yes, the later unit will fit, and be appropriate for the 66-69, and one could argue, 63-65 as well, with a slant 6.

Your point is well taken though as it refers to a V8. If I'm not understanding this correctly, please correct me.

Thanks!

-=C

Cuda416, you have the flexplate info correct. You need 5.9 Magnum-weighted flex plate so you can use your neutral balanced torque convertor. The factory flex plate from the donor truck can be used by slotting one convertor bolt whole when running a 727 trans, but I don't know how bad the mismatch is for the 904, and I don't have a 904 convertor laying around to try it on. I think your 904 has a smaller diameter bolt pattern.

If you don't mind buying a new drive shaft, any good shop, like Denny's, can give the procedure to get the measurements they need to build you a new shaft without having the trans slip yoke in hand for measuring. And the new shaft will have all new parts.

Yeah, there are a few around here that can do that. My main concern is budget. It's my son's car and we spent a bunch of money on trying to revive the /6 that was in it. Gave up on it, one thing led to another etc.

-
Back