Couple questions about cam/springs

-

turboking15

Reaction score
Looking at some of the offerings from oregon cams, and i came across grind number 1408,
http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/Hydraulic-Rol-Cam-Specs.html

1st question is this a regrind number or new core number? (magnum roller cam)

2nd ill be running with 1.8 rockers giving me .540 lift, is this doable with the hughes 1110 springs and their retainers that give additional guide clearance?

Heads are stock ported magnums, 1121g head gaskets, stock magnum bottom end with new rings / bearings, m1 single plane, holley 750vs, 1-3/4" long tubes, 5 spd, 3.55 gear, and i do plan on between 100-150 shot.

Any advice is appreciated.

All of their numbers are grind numbers.

Should be, but since you're going to have the heads done anyway, "I" would also have the guides machined just to cover my back side.

Im doing the porting, i was trying to avoid additional machine work like guide cutting and seat cutting. I cant remember who it was but i thought i saw a member make mention that he was using that spring/retainer setup on stock magnum heads with .544 lift. Hoping he will chime in.

As far as the cam itself, what are you thoughts on that?

I think it's a good grind. Cutting guides is a very minimal expense.

Ok, when you cut the guides down what valve seals do you then have to go with? Also how far can / should you cut them down?

It depends on which spring you end up using. You can even get the tool to do it yourself.

Then you should get with Hughes and see which seal. They can tell you the diameter and such. There are many different ones. I think a real popular one is like .530" and Comp sells the tool. Being a single spring you'll have plenty of room. But I would still call hughes to be sure. You may not need to cut the guides. But, it's better to be safe than sorry, plus, if you do, you have room for upgrades later.

Rob, I have no hands on Magnum experience. I do however see some potential pushrod clearance issues with a 1.8 ratio rocker on that setup. Maybe you or someone else could speak to that since he's doing most of the prep work himself.

I must be gettin blind in my old age. I missed that part. I been missin a bunch of stuff lately. Why would you want to run a 1.8? That's overkill.

I must be gettin blind in my old age. I missed that part. I been missin a bunch of stuff lately. Why would you want to run a 1.8? That's overkill.

I guess the're Brand "C"s, unless it's a mistype. I agree, why not just up the cam lift a little. They'll grind some more in for him i'm sure. You're not blind man, i read it several times myself, thinking ??? lol. I've only seen those numbers on some fancy newer "W" heads.

I guess the're Brand "C"s, unless it's a mistype. I agree, why not just up the cam lift a little. They'll grind some more in for him i'm sure. You're not blind man, i read it several times myself, thinking ??? lol. I've only seen those numbers on some fancy newer "W" heads.

I dont know man. I honestly think I got somethin goin on. I been missin all kinda stuff.....and gettin hollered at about it. That's not like me. I think I may talk to my doctor about it.

Don't think you can even get a 1.8:1 ratio rocker on a Magnum head without going to something like a Jesel or T&D setup. I doubt thats the case.

No typo, they are 1.8 roller rockers. Pedestal mount ls1 style. Got them with intentions of running them on the stock cam to see what happens, but have since decided to put a little more *** to the motor.

Never heard of anyone trying an LS rocker on the Magnum heads. SB Chevy is the usual swap, some guys say the SB Ford is a little better. If the LS rocker pivot length is good yielding proper geometry that will be sweet.
I'd set those heads up for BeeHive springs, as the combination of high rocker ratio and aggressive hyd roller lobe profile is a recipe for a valvetrain control nightmare. Reducing valvetrain weight will greatly improve the engines ability to rev clean. Fortunately the Magnum heads have light weight valves out of the box, so you're miles ahead there.

Skrews,dead on. I did the E.Q heads,Crane 1.5 stud conversion. If O.E,Magnum heads. Do a mock assembly. Run Dykem blue,along the pushrod paths. If it marks shiny against Dykem blue,grind a .030"-.060" clearance....

Sell the 1.8s. I think they are a bad idea.

-
Back