Couple questions,

-

plumcrazy73

Reaction score
1. I have a choice between a 727 or a 904 which would you build?

2. Limited experience on tranny rebuild, what all should I be looking for, tips, or tricks I should be aware of. and what all parts should I replace to make it last longer perform better. Obviously if something is broke replace it, but looking for the stuff that I may not know.

3. What brand converter, just getting started and it will be awhile before I actually do this so not as worried about stall yet till I further in it.

4. Shift kit same as converter your suggestions.

This is going in a 71 Scamp, with a for not basic 360 with a Holly 4 barrel.

1. I have a choice between a 727 or a 904 which would you build?

Depends on the application. Most of the time a 904 is plenty.

2. Limited experience on tranny rebuild, what all should I be looking for, tips, or tricks I should be aware of. and what all parts should I replace to make it last longer perform better. Obviously if something is broke replace it, but looking for the stuff that I may not know.

Check and set all clearances much tighter than factory specs. Factory specs are extremely. Get this book and read it before you begin. tons of great info with high perf. tips

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1557883998/?tag=joeychgo-20

3. What brand converter, just getting started and it will be awhile before I actually do this so not as worried about stall yet till I further in it.

Again it depends on the application. For a street car a cheap PTC will do fine.

4. Shift kit same as converter your suggestions.

Trans-go TF-2

This is going in a 71 Scamp, with a for not basic 360 with a Holly 4 barrel.

Not quite sure what you mean by "with a for not basic 360"??

A small block mopar won the door slammer division 1/4 mile from all over the usa a few years ago state wide in Memphis Motor Sports park and he was running a 904, it's light and buildable for power.
If I was building a truck I would go 727 but if I was to build one for a dart I would have to go with the 904 JMO.

904 transmission
Turbo action manual valvebody
Ultimate Converter...proven combination going on 5 seasons now..

fishy, basic 360 means stock 38000 mile 73 model year 2 barrel, 360 never rebuilt, throw a holley carb on it, probably a 650-750 range, change the cam (probably but not definitely) nothing drastic, change timing chain, oil pump, and water pump and change the following gaskets, oil pan, valve cover, timing cover intake, thermostat and gasket etc. spray paint it and throw it in there.

not doing a rebuild just doing the quick simple stuff, it runs good but just doing a basic freshening.

fishy, basic 360 means stock 38000 mile 73 model year 2 barrel, 360 never rebuilt, throw a holley carb on it, probably a 650-750 range, change the cam (probably but not definitely) nothing drastic, change timing chain, oil pump, and water pump and change the following gaskets, oil pan, valve cover, timing cover intake, thermostat and gasket etc. spray paint it and throw it in there.

not doing a rebuild just doing the quick simple stuff, it runs good but just doing a basic freshening.

Ok. If you would have just said "basic 360" I would have gotten it. The extra words in there didn't make sense to me, LOL

-
Back