couple questions

-

1970-dart

Reaction score
I just recently got a good running 318 out of a 70 pickup but it had a standard trans and I don't want standard. the truck has been sold to somebody on the board here and I was still looking for a trans and the rest of the parts to swap the motor in my car.

I found a 74 factory V-8 car with disc brakes the body is shot but it has all the parts I need to put my car together including the rear end if it will fit (I believe it will)which is very exciting. I have not heard it run but he says that it runs very well so now I will have another 318 and of course the \6 and trans that is In my car now

keep in mind I am not looking to get rich and just looking to get some extra money towards my car. So would I be crazy to ask 200.00 for a good running 318 ?? and would it be unreasonable to ask 200.00 for a good running \6 with a trans that has about 2000 miles on a rebuild

thanks in advance

You should be able to get that or more for any decent running engine...are you crazy? that I do not know...lol....ask alice...when she's 10 feet tall...

You are asking too little. WAYYYY too little. I come from a racing family. Back in NY, where we used to race at a place called Ransomville Speedway, everybody pretty much used GM's, so I became a Chevy guy. At any given time, we had 3 or 4 street stocks on the track every Friday night. That's 3-4 times the maintenance, and 3-4 times the extra parts. We always tried to keep at least one pre built, race ready 350 for each car, but we usually always had more short blocks laying around. My point is, we were always on the lookout for cores. Now, our rule of thumb was 1$ per cubic inch for any complete engine in need of a rebuild. If you had an engine in need of a rebuild, I would say a fair price would be $300 - $325. Having a good engine, I wouldn't take a dime under $500, but that's just my $.02

Ig it depends on your location. The previous comments say they'd sell in no time where they're from but then in my area they might sell or you might be stuck with em awhile. There was an ad on cl a year or so ago where a guy had 4 mostly complete 318s, he was wantin $400 for the whole lot... They were on cl for quite awhile. Idk if they sold then or not. It's just hit n miss here sometimes.

Wow,, I remember when wrecking yards(in the 60's) sold engines for $1 per cubic inch.Got a complete 383 carb to pan from a 69 Road Runner.
You should have no problem selling for the price you are asking. Ask a little more and come down if needed.

-
Back