Courtesy light door switch?

-

Witchboard

Reaction score
I've been having a hard time finding a switch. I've bought two different part numbers that indicate they are compatible with my 64 Barracuda, but they are too long. If I close the door all the way, they will be crushed. Left is original, middle is Standard Motor Products DS173T and right is a WVE 1S1016. Anybody have a lead on these?

IMG20230605161659.jpg

I don't have any first hand knowledge of those switches, but if you look at the original compared to the others, notice how there is an equal amount of the tube above and below the nut. The other two have the full length of tube above the nut.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that if you install one of the replacement switches and carefully close the door, rather than being crushed the door will push the tube back through the nut to set the proper length. The switch would then look like the original with a portion of the tube above and below the nut.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of those switches, but if you look at the original compared to the others, notice how there is an equal amount of the tube above and below the nut. The other two have the full length of tube above the nut.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that if you install one of the replacement switches and carefully close the door, rather than being crushed the door will push the tube back through the nut to set the proper length. The switch would then look like the original with a portion of the tube above and below the nut.
I'll give it a shot. I've got nothing to lose. ^_^

Yes, Mopar Action had a article stating that they self adjust when closing the door.
Gently..

Last edited:
Well, I just installed it and slammed the door. Looks like it works. Thanks guys. I also have an extra pair of switches I guess to throw the the extra parts pin. Ha!

I actually did it gently before I slammed it, just for the record.

I had the same problem. I used the vise and a socket to make the switch the same length as the original. I was worried it would leave a small dent in the car.
IMG_2993.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG

Yup, here's mine on the driver's side. I'm going to have to run one to the passenger as it's gone, or at least I can't find it. Switch was gone on mine as well.

IMG20230609172904.jpg

-
Back