Coverting to Manual Brakes, What is needed?

-

wjaholic

My car stole my wallet!
Reaction score
I swapped a 440 in to my '74 Duster a few weeks back, I have had a few things come up between now and then but I am addressing the clearance issue with the driveside valve cover. I am looking in to ditching my power disc brake setup in favor of manual discs. I am going to offset the manual mastercylinder so I have understood that much, a manual mastercylinder and offset bracket. What else will I need to complete this swap? I can make up new brake lines from the proportioning valve, will I need to swap the proportioning valve? Is ther any linkage behind the mastercylinder? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

DSCF0122.jpg

About all you really need to do is get a manual brake pushrod, yank off the brake booster and bolt your m/c back up. You could probably survive without offsetting the m/c if you want. I didn't on my duster, but I have 383 in it. I used one of the late model aluminum m/c's. You might not even have to make new lines, the old ones might still work. the only problem I had (minor) was getting the brake pedal height where i wanted it. Had to cut and weld pushrod twice to get it there. Don't forget the little rubber lock ring in the end of the m/c. very important.

I am thinking that I can bend my lines from the proportioning valve up to the master cylinder without any big problems. I had not thought of removing the booster and running the master cylinder like that.

If that is the case what is the difference between the power mastercylinder and the manual mastercylinder?

I was thinking that from the proportioning valve up to the master cylinder (all the way to the firewall) was different between the two.

-
Back