Cowl mounted gauges

-

Wagon of Death

Aussie Barracuda Fisherman
Reaction score
Had a quick search, but no solid answers...
Im hoping to cowl mount oil, temp and fuel pressure, two questions...how have you mounted them with trashing the cowl bars? Im thinking of drilling and tapping a plate, dropping it in the hole and securing the gauges to that..
Secondly, has anyone notched a small section on the rear lip of the hood for the lines to go through? Will check with some plasticine if theres enough room without cutting first, which is the preferred scenario...Ill use secure the lines together under the bonnet near where they come through
Seen a few pics here but all the threads are 5+ years old...

Done by previous owner but maybe this will help you out. He notched a piece out of the fiberglass hood to route the wiring

newdart9.png
newdart10.jpg
NEW DART3.jpg

Maybe this will help. Bolted to hood lip as shown. Rubber bumper under gauge laying on cowl to prevent vibration. Cu-Ni fuel pressure tube goes through firewall into cowl and up into gauge. Hood closes/clears without issue but be sure gauge is back far enough.
20220218_105534.jpg

I had mine in the car for several years I didn't want them in the weather if it rained . For the oil use Fragola braided line. For the fuel they have a diaphragm for under the hood you run a line to and you use the same style braided line as the oil line in the car but with antifreeze. They are both braided lines and NHR legal in the car with a fuel diaphragm under the hood.

Just some info if you want to keep them out of the weather. I made a aluminum plate to mount using the original screws on the cluster and cut a piece from a plastic dash cap for the tach to rest on . The screws held them up and the and the tach kept them from dropping down. I also used the Cigarette lighter hole to run the lines and just notched an extra ash tray.

This whole assembly could be removed with no evidence of it being there

DSCF2824.JPG

DSCF2823.JPG

I am adding a fuel pressure gauge this summer, and I will move my oil pressure outside with it. Reasoning is if the line should leak it isn't spraying oil/fuel inside the cabin.

100% my thought too...Ive already blown an oil line at the back of the gauge inside once and hot oil on bare legs wasnt that awesome

Why not keep them in the car. Is it a look your going for so your gauges are seen as a cool factor?

Want to run fuel pressure gauge and dont want fuel inside the cabin, if Im doing that I may as well add the oil pressure gauge outside too

Want to run fuel pressure gauge and dont want fuel inside the cabin, if Im doing that I may as well add the oil pressure gauge outside too

I had that happen in the past. If you get the pre-made braided lines they will never blow. Using the Diaphragm for the fuel gauge there is no fuel in the car. Oil pressure is max 80 PSI. They sell these same style lines for brakes on Nascar's.

You don't have to use Fragola, There is Earl's, Auto meter, Alstar, and other brands . We use Fragola because my son knows and does work for Matt Hirschman . a "Troyer nascar race shop". They give us what we think we need and we only pay for what we use. We use braided hoses on everything we can.

What if that line breaks and the oil or fuel sprays into the cowl. Good luck cleaning that out.

Pontiacs had hood mounted tachs which often suffered from condensation. Condensation means moisture...which means corrosion.
I would think carefully before installing sensitive gauges where they are subject to the elements.

Pontiacs had hood mounted tachs which often suffered from condensation. Condensation means moisture...which means corrosion.
I would think carefully before installing sensitive gauges where they are subject to the elements.

Easy fix is to not drive in rain or damp conditions!!

Easy fix is to not drive in rain or damp conditions!!
Everytime I would take my car somewhere it would rain one of the days being there the weekend. Luckily I had the race trailer if it would rain hard. But the drizzles we are in the trailer cooking and hanging out.

I am adding a fuel pressure gauge this summer, and I will move my oil pressure outside with it. Reasoning is if the line should leak it isn't spraying oil/fuel inside the cabin.
Instead of using the plastic chincy line that comes in the oil pressure gauge kits I use -3 or -4 AN fittings, can't remember exactly, and then steel braided hose.

-
Back