Cracked bell housing question

-

Mr_Sancho

Reaction score
Hello all. I recently had the weights fall off my torque converter and wreak havoc. The disaster caused a broken inspection plate bolt hole, bent dust cover, cracked flexplate and the worst, a cracked bellhousing. Not knowing that the bellhousing cracked I purchased a new torque converter, flex plate and dust cover. (Figured I'd put new stuff since it was coming out)The problem I have now is that I'm not sure if I should buy a new case or if the one I have will be ok.

The crack itself is about 2 inches long at about the 1 o'clock position. It's between 2 bolts and not open (where as anything would get in). I know aluminum is difficult to weld so I was thinking maybe just cleaning it real well and putting some JB Weld on it. I also read that a small drilled out hole at the end of the crack would keep it from growing.

What do you guys think?

FYI. This is a 904 transmission attached to a slightly modified 360 (aluminum Edelbrock RPM heads, Mopar performance air gap intake, 600cfm Holley, stock cam and straight dual exhaust with stock exhaust manifolds)

Hello all. I recently had the weights fall off my torque converter and wreak havoc. The disaster caused a broken inspection plate bolt hole, bent dust cover, cracked flexplate and the worst, a cracked bellhousing. Not knowing that the bellhousing cracked I purchased a new torque converter, flex plate and dust cover. (Figured I'd put new stuff since it was coming out)The problem I have now is that I'm not sure if I should buy a new case or if the one I have will be ok.

The crack itself is about 2 inches long at about the 1 o'clock position. It's between 2 bolts and not open (where as anything would get in). I know aluminum is difficult to weld so I was thinking maybe just cleaning it real well and putting some JB Weld on it. I also read that a small drilled out hole at the end of the crack would keep it from growing.

What do you guys think?

FYI. This is a 904 transmission attached to a slightly modified 360 (aluminum Edelbrock RPM heads, Mopar performance air gap intake, 600cfm Holley, stock cam and straight dual exhaust with stock exhaust manifolds)
if your bell housing is cracking yupp like i said there is no coming back from that man... real talk bro..better look for a new one i could get you one but its going to cost you tho.. pm me i will take care of you man

personally, I would not mess with a sloppy repair. I would find another trans core. Take both, your new and broken one, to a transmission shop. Have them swap the guts, freshen it up and reseal. Most will bench one for around here $3-400 with good parts,
If it is a numbers case just save it.

-
Back