cracked trans housing

-

connerray

Reaction score
Getting a 904 trans given to me for the price of scrap, big problem is there is a crack 70% of the way around the bell housing part. The crack is in a place were no fluid gets to it. I would like to try and make this work. My cousin is a good welder and his dad is really good. Think I can weld this thing together and jt hold? Iv heard to drill a small hole at both ends of the crack to keep it from going any farther and grind a "v" half way through the case along the crack and pull it tight together with a ratchet strap (half way through. Not all the way not changing the length or structure in any way) and weld it back. Its going behind a 318 magnum stock with intake headers carb and 9.5-1 comp ratio. Any good news this may work? If not it isn't like I will be out any money with the price of aluminum. Worst come to worst I just waist couple hrs swapping it out

I would inspect the front pump area for damage before even trying. Someone may have tried to force the tranny in without having the convertor all the way in causing the housing to crack.

Find another case if it is ok and use it instead.

Just get another case....aint like 904's are a high dollar core....

I agree on looking at the pump area, if that's ok, do all the prep to it, and weld it with a TIG welder, with it bolted to a spare block, dowel pins in place....

yer askin for a headache.....get a new core or a rebuilt trans and move on

It was cracked cause a bolt was left in when the motor was being pulled. Were could I find a core? Not many places around here with dodge Chrysler parts

And the crack is all in the bell housing part. No were near any part that houses the internal parts. It goes around instead of parallel with the trans if that makes since or helps

www.wittrans.com has them ranging in price from $39-$60. Here's a direct link to the page with all the various versions of 904's made

https://www.wittrans.com/SchematicParts.aspx?Transmission=A904&LinkCode=760

Just pick the year case and for what engine (small block or /6).

The bellhousing is a high stress area since engine torque twists on it right there. Unless it was for a tired 170 slant 6 I wouldn't bother welding one up. Sure would suck to go through all the work of welding it up, rebuilding it, installing it then having it crack again a couple thousand miles down the road.

big question, will the guts of a /6 904 fit in the case of SB 904? reason I ask is cause I have one sitting around.
I know there are some small differences in clutches or some shti like the SB has 4 and the slant has 3? but is it possible?

Yes and yes. I would recommend you do the 4 clutch drum, or get the piston lathed down to accept 4 or 5 if possible with a 3 clutch. Magnums you have to elongate 1 hole in the flexplate. That's it. Magnum 5.2-5.9 mini-starters are the way to go too.

Sweet. So all I have to do is buy a case and swap internals and i have read somewhere the tail shaft from th slant will dolt to the v8 housing as well?

Yeah, it seems they would. Take a look at the blow up diagram on wittrans.com, see if there are any variations there.

You might want to also consider replacing the single wound return spring in the front clutch carrier with an aftermarket multi spring pack. The stock spring has a nasty habit of unwinding under a load allowing the clutch plates to slip.

I got the /6 tore half way down and every thing looks fresh. :cheers: I'm haveing more fun than I should I think, really enjoying the challenge and mystery of a transmission. This is my first one btw

You might want to also consider replacing the single wound return spring in the front clutch carrier with an aftermarket multi spring pack. The stock spring has a nasty habit of unwinding under a load allowing the clutch plates to slip.
I think I'm going to test my skills first and just reassemble it with out putting a hole lot of money in it to just have it blow up or not work or what have you...

-
Back