Cragar rims - brake clearance issues

-

sydcuda

Reaction score
Hello All,

It's been a long time since I've posted here. To cut a long story short I've been separated from my '68 Barracuda for the past 4 years (after moving for work and having to leave the car behind) but in the past week we've been reunited :) So I'm busying myself ironing out a few bugs here and the before the car is 100% rebuilt and ready to rumble.

The reason for my post here is that I've got a front rim clearance issue due to the aftermarket disc brake kit I've fitted. My current rims are 15 inch Cragar SS 'Grey' aluminum, which I really like the look of. In the posted photos you can see the disc brake caliper - my finger is pointing out the contact are on the inside of the rim. Where I'm pointing to on the inside of the rim is a raised area which is causing the caliper contact. In my estimation I'd need about 1/4 inch more clearance in this area to avoid contact with the caliper. I'm not prepared to shave the caliper or inside of the rim, nor use wheel spacers, so my only option if I want Cragar SS rims is to try the original classic composite SS rim. I'm thinking that given the rim is steel there'd be more clearance where it meets the center, compared with the all aluminum version I'm currently using.

But before I take the gamble of ordering a set of Cragars from Summit, does anyone have a photo of the inside area of the original style composite SS 15 inch rim for me to compare and make an educated assessment as to whether they will clear my brakes?

Much appreciated!

Attachments

• WP_20140113_003.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 166
  • WP_20140115_004.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 164
  • WP_20140115_006.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 172
-
Back