Cragar SS Lug Nut/Stud Engagement Question.

-

TimS

Reaction score
I’ve used the 61C Cragar SS on a 69 Barracuda Formula S in the past but with long studs. The lug nuts recommended are conical seat 60 degree. Anyone using these wheels and lug nuts on a car with standard stud length? I want to use on my stock 68 Barracuda but afraid there is not enough lug nut to stud engagement. Seems like these things would come loose. Also these are the drilled 5X4 bolt Cragar.

Thoughts? Thanks !!

I have those wheels on one of my cars. I didn't feel safe with the thread engagement with stock length studs. I called Cragar and was told you need at least 10 turns of engagement on a 1/2-20. I ended up going with longer studs, but another option are these conical/shank nuts. This one is made by Cragar, but I believe other places sell similiar.

unnamed.png

I have been using them in my stock 69 barracuda for 5 years. Mine are SBP. No issues.

Edit: I didn’t notice the shank. My Cragars are the conical seat ones with no shank on them.

Last edited:
I have those wheels on one of my cars. I didn't feel safe with the thread engagement with stock length studs. I called Cragar and was told you need at least 10 turns of engagement on a 1/2-20. I ended up going with longer studs, but another option are these conical/shank nuts. This one is made by Cragar, but I believe other places sell similiar.

View attachment 1715980486

Those lug nuts pictured appear to at least give you a chance at the ten turn neighborhood. Did Cragar recommend that style you have pictured or did you find those later on?

The old Cragars used mag style lugs that reached thru the wheel to grab all the stock studs.
The NEW Cragers have conical seats, but are UNSAFE with stock style conical nuts. The mounting holes are too big, the ordinary conical lugs don't engage enough stud, and work loose because of the hole size.
The new Cragars need the Conical/shank nuts mentioned above. Cragar makes them, and there are imitations (supposedly) available on ebay/Amazon.
There is a long thread about the unavailability of those lugs, either here or b-bodies. I think on the A side, because of the 7/16 studs.
I think the small bolt pattern takes a conical shank that is smaller than normal, and is impossible to find.

Last edited:
Those lug nuts pictured appear to at least give you a chance at the ten turn neighborhood. Did Cragar recommend that style you have pictured or did you find those later on?
Cragar says their new wheels REQUIRE that style lug, no matter the stud length, to center up the wheel. Because of the stud hole size in the wheel.

Cragar says their new wheels REQUIRE that style lug, no matter the stud length, to center up the wheel. Because of the stud hole size in the wheel.
I was concerned about this as well and is why I contacted Cragar. The girls answering the phone didn't know the answer, but had me email a guy who would. He told me if I had 10 turns with my stock studs, then the standard conical nuts would be fine. If not, use the one I posted a pic of, or use longer studs. The thing I don't like with the shank style is that there is so little meat where the threads recess into the wheel. That's why I went with longer studs. I have our emails, but can't figure out how to post them here....

Yes, Cragar recommended them if you don't have 10 threads. Otherwise the standard conical is fine. PM me your email and I can forward you our conversation if you would like.

The old Cragars used mag style lugs that reached thru the wheel to grab all the stock studs.
The NEW Cragers have conical seats, but are UNSAFE with stock style conical nuts. The mounting holes are too big, the ordinary conical lugs don't engage enough stud, and work loose because of the hole size.
The new Cragars need the Conical/shank nuts mentioned above. Cragar makes them, and there are imitations (supposedly) available on ebay/Amazon.
There is a long thread about the unavailability of those lugs, either here or b-bodies. I think on the A side, because of the 7/16 studs.
I think the small bolt pattern takes a conical shank that is smaller than normal, and is impossible to find.

I don’t think any of this is true about fitment. I have had these for five years on my car with conical Cragar lug nuts. I have at least 1 1/2 times the stud diameter engagement & they have never come loose. Mag nuts used to loosen up on me back in the day, but I have not had that experience with these.

If I am wrong & there is contrary information, I would like to know.

Just my two cents but all the Cragars I've used on my Dart's took lug nuts like these

crr-27789-4_xl.jpg

I put in longer studs and used McGard lug nuts.
I tried those extended thread nuts, Gorilla brand, but I felt they were a cheap band aid.
I bought the nuts, measured the thread depth, and calculated an optimum stud length based on the thickness of the wheel flange. Then I found the studs on Doorman's website and ordered them from Rock Auto.
Here's the nuts. They're really nice. Made in USA. Next to the McGard's those Cragar nuts look like the Chinese crap they are.
Chrome Bulge Cone Seat Style Lug Nut Set (7/16-20 Thread Size) – Set of 4 Lug Nuts – McGard

I’ve used the 61C Cragar SS on a 69 Barracuda Formula S in the past but with long studs. The lug nuts recommended are conical seat 60 degree. Anyone using these wheels and lug nuts on a car with standard stud length? I want to use on my stock 68 Barracuda but afraid there is not enough lug nut to stud engagement. Seems like these things would come loose. Also these are the drilled 5X4 bolt Cragar.

Thoughts? Thanks !!

I have new Cragar SS wheels on my 69 Dart GTS. I had the most difficult time finding lug nuts. Summit recommended on their site and when you spoke with them an incorrect lug nut. They were too long and stuck out the back of the wheel making it unable to tighten on factory lug studs. I sent a pretty strong email with my name and phone number with the problem to Cragar. I had a Cragar rep call me. The new Cragar SS wheels, not the older ones take a conical lug nut. I argued that but he told me to go look close at the wheel lug hole to see the taper. He was right I was wrong. I asked which lug nuts to use and he recommended CRR-27802-4. They are 7/16 and only come right handed and in four packs. I got them from Summit Racing. They worked perfectly on my Cragar SS wheels.

C262C3E8-00E1-4B2E-8FF3-FD55FF677C87.jpeg

I have new Cragar SS wheels on my 69 Dart GTS. I had the most difficult time finding lug nuts. Summit recommended on their site and when you spoke with them an incorrect lug nut. They were too long and stuck out the back of the wheel making it unable to tighten on factory lug studs. I sent a pretty strong email with my name and phone number with the problem to Cragar. I had a Cragar rep call me. The new Cragar SS wheels, not the older ones take a conical lug nut. I argued that but he told me to go look close at the wheel lug hole to see the taper. He was right I was wrong. I asked which lug nuts to use and he recommended CRR-27802-4. They are 7/16 and only come right handed and in four packs. I got them from Summit Racing. They worked perfectly on my Cragar SS wheels.

View attachment 1715990108

Thanks. I also talked to a Cragar Engineer and he pretty much made the same recommendation but With the 1/2-20 lug nuts. Ordered them this morning from Summit.

View attachment 1715990108
The ones you bought will work but a little unnecessary, this new style Cragar’s with the conical seat can take a standard 7/16 acorn nut, you don’t have to have any of the shank on the ET style nut he told you to buy. That nut is designed to fit in a unilug washer.
It won’t hurt but the extra cost of this nut vs the standard bulge acorn nut adds up. $3.25 per nut vs. Less than a buck each of ones like this.
Amazon product ASIN B07VDMKLMQ
the ones you both are also available on Amazon too. I’m including this link to show you the washer that is normally associated with the use of this nut. Have a look, the washer has a slight 60 conical shape to it too, Centerline the nut in the washer. Being a uni-lug style and utilizing a washer moves the nut further away from the wheel hence requiring the shank for more thread engagement.
Amazon product ASIN B07RXGCLZZ
make sure the shank portion of the one he told you to buy also does not protrude out behind the wheel

-
Back