Cragars on a 1972 Swinger

-

Ben440ny

Reaction score
Hey All,

Currently considering a set of Cragars for my 1972 Dart Swinger. Trying to figure out whether or not they are worth the asking price. He's looking for $800 for the wheels and tires. Seller says the wheels are stamped 1984 and he bought them new in box from someone who had them stashed for years. The tires are BF Goodrich Radial T/A with 300 miles on them.

Sizes are p225/60r14 for the front, and p235/60r14 for the rears. The wheels and tires are currently on the sellers 1971 Dart. They come a little close to the lip in the rear quarter panel, but other than that, a seemingly perfect fit. Seller removed some material (half inch or so) from the lip for some extra clearance and you can't even tell.

My concerns:

Will I run into any issues with my front disc breaks? (seller has drums) He's willing to let me try them on before I buy, but it's a little bit of a drive to get there so I'm curious.

Anything I should know about Cragars from the 80's? I know I've heard people complaining about some of the newer ones because they are made overseas. Are these more than likely 2 piece Aluminum with the stainless centers?

Thoughts on the price?

While originally, I was shooting for a Pro-Touring look, these seemed like a good deal. I have the small bolt pattern so my options are limited. I always appreciated Cragars though and I like the wide tires for spirited driving :burnout:

Here's my girl now with her steelies and dog dish. Below is a picture of the sellers car with the wheels and tires in question in yellow.

Thanks for any advice!

zmkNvRC.jpg

I don't know anything about those wheels in particular except that they are a heavier wheel. Do you like the way your car handles now? I would be curious why he's selling them. Your car sits lower in back than his so I would pay extra attention to clearance there. Also look closely at the tires and make sure they didn't get chewed up before he fixed where they were scrubbing.

I run simmalar set up on 67 cuda except they are 15 inch. The front are the same size the rear are 255 bought the whole set same tires at discount for 950 out the door

I run Cragars on my Duster and had to use .125 spacer on the front because wheel was hitting caliper. This was on all stock disc brake parts.

Thank you for the feedback everyone! The Tires don't appear to be chewed at all from the more close up pictures he has sent me. He cut just to give himself a little insurance. Will these wheels be that much heavier than my steelies? I thought most Cragars were Steel centers with Aluminum drums.

He's selling the wheels because he is selling the car. He tossed the steelies on the cara to sell probably because he was looking to get a little extra from the wheels.

DusterNY, Is your car a 72? Do you have the 2 piston Disc Brakes and small bolt pattern?

I run Cragars on my Duster and had to use .125 spacer on the front because wheel was hitting caliper. This was on all stock disc brake parts.

DDettloff, that seems like a killer deal! Did you get this combination new? Mind me asking from where?

I run simmalar set up on 67 cuda except they are 15 inch. The front are the same size the rear are 255 bought the whole set same tires at discount for 950 out the door

I think those wheels would look awesome on your car! Is he firm on the 800? I think it would be worth the road trip to go up, put the wheels on your car, see if they run out good and how they look.... Not many chances to do that when they come in a box to your door. If they don't suit you, come home without them.

The wheels from Summitracing are $165 each... Figure best case of $20 for lug bolts, plus shipping and you and you have over $700 in them. Even if someone sells you a set of BFG's in good shape for $100 you still have to get them mouted and balanced.....

I say make a road trip, let your girl try on the new shoes, and if you like them, show him $700 in cash.... I bet you buy them, expecially if he has no need for them.

Just my opinion.....

I paid 800 for mine with tires used Im glad I did and dont regret it.

Cooper Cobra's
225/70R14 Front
275/60R15 Rear
Modern Crager SS on 5 on 4"
Stock Kelsey Hayes brakes.

No rub on the front at all.
Total price,about $1200 give or take.

Go try em on,bet you buy them!

4c5d9e0f-592d-4f84-8134-c1d1e979f791_zps2edf0c2d.jpg

Thanks Haney for the advice! I may drive up there on Sunday. See if he budges on the price.

My car's color is Chrysler Intense Blue Pearlcoat. You'll see the color from time to time on jeeps although we made mine at the body shop so it came out a little darker.

BTW, what color is your car?

I'll have to look and see what tire sizes I used, but my SBP Cragars I sold about 7-8 years ago for $300, including lugnuts, no tires included. The chrome was starting to flake around the centers of the spokes, but still looked really good and bright overall. I was actually surprised I got that much for them. I bought them new in 1994 for about the same price. Lugnuts were near $40 then too. The Cragars are kinda strange because instead of the rim centering directly on the hub, the lugnuts locate and center the rim.

I sold them because I went from SBP all 4 drums to BBP front disc brakes, so I don't know how they would fit with the K-H disc brakes.

So I went and checked them out and they looked gorgeous and he even came down a little on price. All was right with the world until... the rears didn't fit. The offset was no good on the back rims and the tires stuck out a good inch beyond the edge of the quarter panel. Very upsetting. Is it possible the track width on a 7.25 rear end 72 Dart is different than that on an 8.75 rear end 71 Dart? He has pictures with the wheels on his car and they look to fit just fine. Anyways, the search continues...

Just curious as I am going to put 15 x 7 steeliies on both my cars. The 74 had 15 inch tires on it when I got it but there was some fender rubbing up front with the tires I bought. What size do you have on your 72? As for your last question there are different measurements for a lot of things in the rear end. My 72 had a b body 8 3/4 and I found an a body and replaced it. I know with 11 inch drums the steel 15x7will fit without checking. I also know I can go wider...but then I will have to take measurements.

Link - http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/16.html

So as you can see....depending on where the rear came from...measurements change.

-
Back