crank no start

-
Reaction score
I have been dealing with some issues with this car and just recently was able to get it up and going. the plugs were fouled when I cleaned them up, I was able to limp it along until I got the timing and air fuel dialed in. after running it for an hour I let it cool down for a few hours and cranked it back up and it was running great. the next day when I got home from work, I went to crank it and it would not start. I had not made any adjustments since I had it running the day before I need some guidance if anyone has anything I am all ears!

I have fuel and spark also pulled the spark plugs back out and cleaned them and reinstalled them nothing else has really changed.

Last edited:
Is it not cranking, cranking but not firing, or cranking and firing but not catching?... I'm confused by your wording. Check to make sure you have spark while cranking first.

the next day when I got home from work, I went to crank it and it would not crank
Your title says "crank no start"

If the engine turns over (cranks) but does not start that is one set of issues.

If it does not turn over (no crank) that is another.

So which is it at this point?

crank no start, it turns over but does not start up. it has fire and fuel the timing was not touched since it ran on Monday. yeah sorry I put Crank in there twice. it was supposed to be crank but not starting. I could see that being confusing.

Pull the distributor cap off to see that the rotor is turning when cranking it over.

Start with the basics.

Rock the crank back and forth and watch the rotor to see how loose your timing chain is. Possibly the chain jumped a few teeth if it is loose enough, throwing the mechanical timing out of whack.

☆☆☆☆☆

Pull the distributor cap off to see that the rotor is turning when cranking it over.

Start with the basics.

Rock the crank back and forth and watch the rotor to see how loose your timing chain is. Possibly the chain jumped a few teeth if it is loose enough, throwing the mechanical timing out of whack.

☆☆☆☆☆
I will check that, but the distributor is new along with the timing chain, I know that doesn't mean a lot when things happen but just wanted to throw that out there.

Sometimes a spark check will look positive, but the juice is weak enough that fuel and compression will drowned it out. If your dizzy uses a box, make sure it has a good/clean ground.

Like said start with the basics...

You pulled the plugs double check the firing order.

Verify that you have voltage at the positive side of the coil with the key in start and run.

How did you verify you have fuel?

How did you verify you have spark?

Find TDC on the compression stroke and verify the dist is pointing near the post going to the #1 cylinder

You said you had recently fixed 'issues'. What issues? Maybe they are back.....

-
Back