1. mocar

mocar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:48 PM
    . Trying to put in my 4 speed tranny, but I'm about 5/8 of a inch from bolting up to the bell housing and tranny won't go in any further. I installed a new pilot bushing into the back of the crank. I installed the bushing flush with back of the crank flange. My question is this the right depth? I'm 99 percent sure that the old bushing was flush .also, or is there something else that the tranny is bound up on. Clutch alignment tool goes right in,

2. Marcohotrod

Marcohotrod Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:48 PM
    is the diameter of the alignment tool any smaller than the trans shaft? did you test the bushing on the trans before install? the bushing installed depth should be o k cuz the trans shaft can go in with plenty of room to spare, the bushing depth does not need to be perfect.

• Like Like x 1
    • DrCharles

DrCharles Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      I got to this exact point with my first 383 build many years ago, and the trans wouldn't go all the way in. Fortunately I had the engine and trans on the floor, not in the car... I found that the crank hole, although drilled to the proper size for the bronze bushing, wasn't deep enough for the input shaft! Engine had come from an automatic car.

It was easy to make it just deep enough with a hefty drill motor and a drill bit larger than the input shaft but smaller than the machined area.

• oldkimmer

oldkimmer FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      or u could cut some off the input shaft , lots of ppl have done it if u find out u don't have enough depth in the crank..............kim.......

• Marcohotrod

Marcohotrod Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      10:48 PM
      the o.p. said he replaced a pilot bushing, so the crank is maybe drilled deep enough

• DrCharles

DrCharles Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Maybe.
      I didn't say so explicitly, but my crank was deep enough to install a new pilot bushing, but still not deep enough for the input shaft.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.