Crank Question

-

supersean

Reaction score
Yea I was just wondering if a 68 model 318 steel crank will work in my 70 model 340? We found out or crank was cracked so we were going to put the crank out of the 318 in it if it will work???

supersean said:
Yea I was just wondering if a 68 model 318 steel crank will work in my 70 model 340? We found out or crank was cracked so we were going to put the crank out of the 318 in it if it will work???

The 318 steel crank is a direct size replacement but you will find the counterweights are a bit smaller/lighter, so unless you go with lighter 340 pistons the 318 crank will require mallory metal to be added to get a proper neutral balance - this can be a bit expensive but worth it in the end - IMHO.
You could use a 360 cast crank - cut down the mains to 340 size and have a ±372ci 340!!!!

if you can find the 67 model 318 cranks, you found something. solid journal they are and extremly tough, i lucked up on mine never turned down still factory, with the motor for $50. i must say, probably one of the best deals i ever found.. but either way 318 cranks will work in a 340 :thumbup:

-
Back