Crank Seal Fitment Issues

-

bob_o

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm in the process of rebuilding the original 225 from my '66 Valiant. Everything has been moving right along without issue until it came time to replace the Crank Seal in the Timing Cover. I ended up with two Mahle seals (part # 64752), both of which are almost .100" bigger on the Outside Diameter than the opening in the back of the Timing Cover. So I ordered one manufactured by National (part # 3095) from O'Reilly and one made by Fel-Pro (part # TCS127691) from Autozone, both of which are also .100" too big, but the Fel-Pro is just the National pn# 3095 in a different package!

I've already sourced a couple NOS seals on ebay, but I'm still wondering what the issue is. Maybe my Dad and I are just idiots and don't know how to install seals or maybe this Timing Cover came off a different engine or....? Hoping one of you Slant 6 gurus can shine some light on this issue or at least point me in the right direction for the correct part. Thanks in advance!

20210329_140030.jpg

20210329_140119.jpg

20210329_140239.jpg

Looks about right to me. Caliper showing 0.100" difference, but you are measuring ID in t/cover & OD of the new seal. Suggests that wall thickness of the seal is about 0.050" & will fit ok.

I used a good-fitting seal driver when I tried to install one of the Mahles, bending the hell out of it in the process. Are they supposed to be pressed in?

It appears to me that the outer metal ring of the old factory oil seal is still pressed in the cover. I bet that's the problem. Tin timing covers didnt normally have a circular reinforcement around the hole like that. I may be incorrect on that too, but thats what it appears like to me.

Last edited:
It's been awhile but I agree with Mat.
It your damper has a groove worn in it, consider getting a stainless steel speedi-sleeve that will correct it better than new.
Also, use the damper to center the timing cover before bolting it down.

You guys were right, the outer ring of the old seal was still stuck in there. I feel pretty dumb now, but at least it was something simple lol. Thanks guys!

Also, I've got a new Harmonic Balancer to install. I'll make sure to use it to center the timing cover before it gets tightened down.

20210330_141853.jpg

-
Back