Crankshaft markings

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
I bought a used 197? 360 that supposedly came out of a motor home. It is a 2bbl, has no air injection holes in the heads, has a egr,. I opened it up and is is really clean inside. It has been apart before. I have not pulled the heads. I did pull the oil pan as I have to install a car pan. On the crankshaft, after the #2 main, it is stamped R X 3 4 in 3/16-1/4 letters. Any idea what this means? I have always seen 010 or 020 if it was cut. I did notice it has a hv72 tag on the oil pump, so that should be a high vol oil pump. I am planning on pulling the heads, swapping the cam, valve springs, and timing chain and running it.

Not sure what your particular markings mean. Do some research and measuring. My father was a Chrysler mechanic in the 70s and 80s. Apperantly a lot of early and mid 80s 360s came with 001" bearings. Sometimes one shell was standard, the other was 001. It was a common warranty practice to put 001 bearings in when a customer would complain of a noisy engine. I have 2 of these warranty fixed engines now and they still run fine. Apperantly Chrysler was getting cranks made and machined in Brazil for awhile. Fine for a passenger car but horrible machining!!! They refered to them as RUBBER BAND cranks. Mostly in early and mid 80s 360s from trucks and motor homes

After I came in and cleaned up, I got out my Mopar small block book and started reading. According to it, the R X stands for .010 on all rod bearings and the 3 4 stands for rod journal 3,4. So I am not sure if all are .010 or just those 2 rod journals are .001. I will pull a few and check them.

Probably be a safe move to take the crank in and have it turned so you don't have to mix and match bearings. I've run 360 cranks 020 under and never had a problem in a mild street motor

If it has been apart and rebuilt previously it likely has been turned and therefore means nothing anyhow... pull a few caps and look at the backside of the bearing shells for oversize markings.

If it has been apart and rebuilt previously it likely has been turned and therefore means nothing anyhow... pull a few caps and look at the backside of the bearing shells for oversize markings.
This is a picture showing the stamp on the crank from my 69 340 Dart. My understanding is that it indicates the rod bearing on the 5/6 rod journal is .001 under. I measured all of the rod journals and the 5/6 was found to be .001 under.

100_3266.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back