Crankshaft Pulley Removal

-

fourstrokin

Reaction score
Hello all, trying to remove a single groove pulley and install a 2 groove pulley on my 383. Everything I have found says it should come off without taking off the balancer bolt. Is this correct or do some pulleys get sandwiched under the large bolt? Thanks!

Center bolt stays in.

Newer pulleys have 6 holes with equal spacing, the older ones do not.

Easy modification if the parts are mismatched though.

Any tricks to getting it off? I am assuming maybe it's hub centric and very tight. All 6 bolts are out and I don't want to destroy the single groove in my persuasion..... Thanks again! Definitely 6 evenly spaced holes

It is hub-centric for sure, so it could be kinda grown on. Maybe a little penetrant and gently pickle fork to the pinch point between the damper and pully only, or bop it a couple times with a rubber hammer. Damn unlikely that the washer could be bigger than the pulley hole.

Got it! A little heat with a crack torch, a few mallet taps and a wood dowel popped it off pretty easily. Thanks again everyone.

Heat in that area is not a good idea because of the rubber ring in crank damper which could be ruined and create a new problem.

Well that's good. But in some places you should avoid heat. I just had trouble removing steering coupler from P/S box and used a pickle fork to remove it. Sometimes you have to spend time to think of another way to get the job done. The only problem I have is finding where I may have put that tool.

-
Back