Crankshafts?

-

WRB426

Insane 4 Mopars
Reaction score
I have a 77 400. I'll be running a 4 speed and was wondering if there is a difference with cranks. Did they make two different ones for autos and standards? Would I be better off with a 383 crank? And will a cast crank handle 400HP? or should a forged be better? I'm looking for a budget street/strip build. Which rods are better 383 or the 400?

383 crank will work in the 400,but a properly machined and balanced 400 crank should be able to handle 400HP.
400 rods should be okay @ 400 HP as well
If you could get the 383 stuff cheap (which most of the time people will give them to you), I'd use it. If not, you'll be fine with the cast 400 stuff (don't mix-n-match the two)
Manual cranks have the pilot hole drilled into the back of the crank. You can mount an auto trans behind a manual crank, but in order to install a manual trans that hole/recess must be drilled. It's a crap shoot if the crank is drilled if it came from an auto car, my educated guess is that you are more likely to find a 383 crank to be drilled over a 400

Is it expensive to have a pilot hole drilled in a crank?

.................Yes it is, then u need an expensive fly wheel. or have the crank balanced...................kim......

.................Yes it is, then u need an expensive fly wheel. or have the crank balanced...................kim......

Your not kidding. I checked with a local machine shop and they said it would be around $200 to drill a pilot hole. Maybe an auto might be better for my build.:wack:

Most any 400 manual trans crank you find will be steel. They made 400 cranks in steel too, not just 383s. IMO either steel crank and the 440 rod would be the way to go.

-
Back