Crappy tank

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
Ordered a tank on ebay. They had it pictured as the silver anodized tank, they sent me a crappy grey primed tank. I am guessing it does not have the nice plating under the house paint. Anyway, any issues with running it? Sending it back is not an option, I live in Canada and had it shipped to a US border town and didn't see it until I got home.

Was just going to give it a scuff, and paint it a trim black type color.

Thoughts?

upload_2022-5-27_12-40-45.jpeg

Ordered a tank on ebay. They had it pictured as the silver anodized tank, they sent me a crappy grey primed tank. I am guessing it does not have the nice plating under the house paint. Anyway, any issues with running it? Sending it back is not an option, I live in Canada and had it shipped to a US border town and didn't see it until I got home.

Was just going to give it a scuff, and paint it a trim black type color.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1715934003
What's the part number stamped in the top of the tank?

Stock and replacement tanks are steel which you can't anodize so zinc, paint, etc. has to be used. Paint it whatever color you want.

That's a Spectra tank. They are high quality. Does it have a suffix like CR11C or CR11E?

Unless you want factory look, no problem painting it. Should give you many years service.

Yes paint it with an automotive finish with a hardener. Like single stage acrylic enamel with the hardener, makes it chemical resistant to gasoline.

Screenshot_20211212-192934_Firefox.jpg

Same color silver metallic that is used on the 2003 Caravans, mixed in single stage acrylic enamel, used the DXR-80 hardener with it.

They come electro plated on the inside only so rust will not be a problem. Don't have it coated, as it will not stick. I found out the hard way. They are primed on the outside, because how in the world would they know your intentions there? Some people may paint them pink with purple polka dots, so they just prime them.

Sorry I didn't mean to say anodized, I meant to say Zinc plated. As long as safe to use and not junk that was my main concern

Sorry I didn't mean to say anodized, I meant to say Zinc plated. As long as safe to use and not junk that was my main concern
Spectra sells quality stuff. Made on north American soil in Canada.

Well, I doubt it's a Spectra then given country of origin?

Says C in a weird font then R11E

Then

Then

Made In Taiwan

This is what was pictured

s-l1600.jpg

Well, I doubt it's a Spectra then given country of origin?

Says C in a weird font then R11E

Then

Then

Made In Taiwan

This is what was pictured

View attachment 1715934073
Oh.....ok. If it says made in Taiwan, it must be some kinda knockoff. I hope you didn't pay much, because you can find genuine Spectra under 100 bucks sometimes.

I just looked, as I've not looked at tank prices in a long time. Like everything else, they've gone up dramatically. Cheapest one I saw on a quick search was a tic over 200 bucks. If you decide to return that one and get another one, I would do business with someone you can at least get on the PHONE so you can verify you're getting a genuine Spectra tank.

-
Back