Crazy Ignition Issue

-

Josecuda

Reaction score
I took the steering column out of the duster to add a steering coupler kit and the dash in order to put one that was in better shape. The thing is that when I tried to fire up the car, after I put the steering column back, the car dies as soon as I take my hands of the key. In order to keep it running I have to keep the key a little distance before of the position where the engine cranks. I checked all the cam/switch connections and the bulkhead connectors of the firewall. I even tried using another switch but the issue remains the same. Now when the car is started, with my hands keeping the key going full back, the A/C doesn´t work either. Does anyone have dealt with any similar situation or have any idea what could possibly be going wrong with this? Any help is highly appreciated, this is driving me mad now..

not too sure how your ignition switch is set up but does it use a rod from the lock cylinder down to the switch?

It is not a rod. It is a sort of cam with a small rod attached to it that the lock switch moves when you turn the key.

it sounds to me as if the cam or something is causing the switch to pull all the way back to the off position and not stay in the run position. my 2 cents.

Weird thing is that even though I installed another switch, externally, the issue continues. Could be that the function is not the same if installed outside the position it is supposed to be. Gotta check that. Thanks Anw

Josecuda a bad ballast resistor will cause it to die when you let off the key but that doesn't explain the a/c not working but it might be worth looking into since it's so easy. They can go at any time. About 4 months ago I went to the doctor's off in my Cuda and when I arrived it was running perfectly when I shut it off. Went into the doc's off and came out an hour later and tried starting it and it did just like yours. Started but as soon as let off the key from cranking it the thing would die. Since ballast resistors are notorious for doing this I always carry a spare. I slipped it on and started right up and drove it home. If that doesn't turn out to be the problem check out the connections on the bulkhead connector. They're bad about corroding and loosing connection.

Sounds like a bad ground somewhere, the run position on the ignition swich is losing power once the car is beyond the initial startup. Bet something was disturbed during the R + R, like a wire was pulled out of a connector just a tad or is now in a place it wasn't befrore. Did you check the 'run' circuit fuse?

Got a muiltimeter? Hook it up to the switch if you can and watch for voltage drop when the switch is in different positions. Trace the circuit with the meter until you find the problem area.

-
Back