Cricket Head Artical/Mag Needed

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
i was wondering if any body has or can scan the mag artical for the L/gas cricket race car with the modded head...

yes I do...I need to scan it so that it is readable.

The mods arent explained in major depth....but enough and there are pics to help some.

Did the article have any hard info about flow rates (200 fpm???) or induction type (carbureted of injected?) Did the article say what it weighed?

Curious minds want to know...

What issue/Month/Year was that magazine? Was it "Cars"????

Did the article have any hard info about flow rates (200 fpm???) or induction type (carbureted of injected?) Did the article say what it weighed?

Curious minds want to know...

What issue/Month/Year was that magazine? Was it "Cars"????

leave it alone bill... you play with boost and leave our NA stuff to catch up...

Cars magazine 1974, mutiple webber carbs, 12.1 comp I believe, .600 lift chevy 1.92/1.50 valves...flowed around 280-300cfm, if I remember right.

I have to dig it up.

email it to me when ever you get the chance... i have a guy who might build it for me...

Cars magazine 1974, NASCAR 4500 series carbs cut in half to make 2 brls w/ adaptor blocks to mount on 13.5'' I.R runners 'from venturi to int valve, 12.5 comp w/30cc chambers, Chrysler express .675 lift by cam craft, '61 vette 1.72/1.50 valves, 1 9/16 springs w/ relieved stock rocker arms, 28'' 1 5/8 primarys into 2 3/8 collectors, flowed around 280-300cfm, if I remember right.

btw with IR induction setups, u have a pulse thats hits and comes back to the venturi, in order to not lose this and make use of this..they added 3'' stacks to cantain the fuel fog. They use NO pv since the IR's leave plenty of mix behind 'no mutiple pulses from all cylinders 'hence the bounce back and fog' another thing with this is that these guys made up some air horns 'so to speak' that mount off of the accelerator shooter and even come down around it as to allow the signal 'when necessary' to actually pull fuel from the pump shot circuit so it doesnt lean out....'lots of thought in this and not for the novice builder'.lol

the motor is 238cid, the rods are 7'' exactly, pistons have .210 raised pins,
They mention that used a 170, 198 version of this motor as well, and that those shorter stroke crank motors lasted longer. they say that the 225 crank in this build was changed out frequently due to ''TORSIONAL STRESS AND THE CRANK MOVING AROUND AND DOING FUNNY THINGS'' .....lol....see ;)...along with ''dampener failures''
They use a stock melling/trw oil pump with a keyed gear, since the alluminum pump would literally open up at high r's along with the gear slipping right off, they also shimmed the psi spring to get 80-100 psi, they also use an external oil line coming off the pump/block to the pan/cover 'as they call it'. They use 340 main bolts and slant windage tray from mopar. oil system other than those things is basically stock. the flywheel is a chevy piece w/apaptor and hyd clutch...
Btw they also bored these .100 over...and when they split open, they sleeved them.
oh...the cooling system is a plate over the water pump flange and then a JASBCO electric water pump is used.

but...let me scan it.

leave it alone bill... you play with boost and leave our NA stuff to catch up...

LOL!!! No, I want to boost THAT motor!!!
There's no such thing as "enough horsepower!"

I won't be happy 'til the crank is laying out on the ground, having been pushed out of the mains by cylinder pressure... LOL!

Sounds like this Cricket motor could do it...:prayer: hee hee...

LOL!!! No, I want to boost THAT motor!!!
There's no such thing as "enough horsepower!"

I won't be happy 'til the crank is laying out on the ground, having been pushed out of the mains by cylinder pressure... LOL!

Sounds like this Cricket motor could do it...:prayer: hee hee...

i know...

now you know why i was looking into a mega bottom end...

dec '74

they really give no info on the boring/brazed tubing of the heads intake ports...

Attachments

• Photo 1195.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Photo 1196.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Photo 1197.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 87

I really appreciate that!!! Thanks so much!!!

Addendum:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Would you BELIEVE that somebody on ebay HAD that issue and was selling it (for $15.00)????:cheers:

It's on its way to me, (or will be, tomorrow morning.) Priority mail... Should have it Wednesday, I think...

Thanks a lot!!!

Bill

-
Back