Crossing state lines, with parts

-
Are you guys talking gross vehicle weight rating or gross COMBINED vehicle weight rating?

I am talking GVWR. GCVWR has zero legal weight...it's a manufacturer's performance and warranty number only.

You can tag a pickup for pretty much whatever you are willing to pay for. (I have seen a Ram dually tagged for 30,000lbs.)

When you come through toll booth on PA turnpike you get weighed, If I had over 1/2 tank of fuel in my dually (no trailer), it would give me a class 2 ticket, which is a higher toll. Then when paying toll at the exit booth, I would tell the toll taker and they would only charge me the class 1 price saying my weight was around the 9500 lb that would give me that Class 2 ticket. Also to slow down on the scale at the booth to get accurate reading, hard braking on it gives a heavier reading.
PA follows Federal DOT rules. Under 26000 Class C license is only required, but I got fined for no medical card since I was over 17,000 lbs combined. 10,000 truck, 14,000 trailer (25,000 total). Also was questioned about what was inside trailer, and got the lecture on inter vs intra state commerce, DOT numbers, those fines, etc...

Welcome to PA .... A medical card tho not manditory ain't a bad idea if ya got a 1 ton dualy. Like i said DOT is cracking down on pickus. Haeing that medical card would have saved you a lot of time. Thay tend not to take it much farther if ya have one. Ur family doc can do it for the price of an office visit witch is a lot less than the ticket.

No Ford smaller than an F-650 has a GVWR over 26,000lbs. (And many F-650's, including the one I drove, are under 26K.)

Maybe I wasn't clear enough... I was talking combined, same trailer (14,000), but the brand new F350 put him over 26,001. Where the old truck, (mine) was 11,000. (combined 25,000)
So, when he bought the new truck, he didn't realize he was overweight, and then needed a CDL.

Welcome to PA .... A medical card tho not manditory ain't a bad idea if ya got a 1 ton dualy. Like i said DOT is cracking down on pickus. Haeing that medical card would have saved you a lot of time. Thay tend not to take it much farther if ya have one. Ur family doc can do it for the price of an office visit witch is a lot less than the ticket.

Well, I'm from PA. But I never heard or knew that I needed a MANDATORY medical card to tow combined over 17,000 GVW, on class C license. Had a court hearing and was fined! So,YES you need one towing OVER 17,000 combined, but no CDL under 26,001. I went and got the card afterwards, the PA website the state trooper told me about is worse than Obamacare, can't find anything there. I ended up selling truck and trailer, and use my F250 to tow my open 7,000 GVW single car trailer now.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough... I was talking combined, same trailer (14,000), but the brand new F350 put him over 26,001. Where the old truck, (mine) was 11,000. (combined 25,000)
So, when he bought the new truck, he didn't realize he was overweight, and then needed a CDL.

Only if he tagged the truck for over 26K!

He just wanted to upgrade the truck, traded the old F350 on a new F350. He didn't ask for it to be higher, it went by the mfg decal on the door jamb. That's what the old truck used.

He just wanted to upgrade the truck, traded the old F350 on a new F350. He didn't ask for it to be higher, it went by the mfg decal on the door jamb. That's what the old truck used.

And in some states that's all you can register it for unless you show it's been modified to register it higher.

One more time: the GVWR tag on the door jamb of an F-350 WAS NOT OVER 26,000LBS! If he claimed it was, he lied! It really is that simple!

One more time: the GVWR tag on the door jamb of an F-350 WAS NOT OVER 26,000LBS! If he claimed it was, he lied! It really is that simple!

You know that, and I know that! Please read previous posts...
Combined with the 14,000 trailer, it's over 26,001. Both together, truck with trailer. I can't remember what is on the truck itself - the old truck was 11,000 (that I know because I owned it AND the trailer) but the new truck is over 12,001 on the door jamb.
Combined, the truck and trailer are over 26,001!

-
Back