Cruise control ever available?

-

intergalactica

Reaction score
Was cruise control ever available on A-bodies as a factory option or as a dealer installed accessory?

it was a option. i had a 74 duster. has factory 360 4 bbl, cruise, a/c, fold down rear seat, crank moonroof, with half vinyl top, electric defrosting rear window glass, map light. it was nice in the summer time with the cruise and a/c.

It was a factory option on the Dart Brougham and Valiant Brougham in '75 and '76 on both the 225 and 318 engines. I am not sure about prior years and models. I have this factory option from a '75 Dart with the 225 slant six, David.

Optional, I had a 74 Duster 318 with cruise and one of my friends had a 74 Scamp 318 with cruise also- neither one worked but they came with it factory.

Can the cruise control units used in '74 and '75s also be used on '67-'69 cudas?

I remodeled aftermarket cruise control into my 65 Comet. It was harder than installing the air conditioning unit. Didn't help that there were errors in the instructions. I did get it working properly though and use it all the time on my cruises in it. I will NOT be installing one in my Barracuda though!
Rat

Just curious, how do those old cruise systems work?

They are vacuum/electrically operated and were all virtually the same up through the 80s. I had an 81 Imperial with it and it worked great on pretty level roads. Going up hills or long grades, it definitely didn't work as well as the modern day cruise controls like the one on our 97 Caravan - it keeps the same speed regardless.

I used one from a late 70s Cordoba in my 68 Barracuda. Easy to install, just make sure you get all of the parts and switches.

cuda motor.jpg

pinkE wheel.jpg

-
Back