cruisin..

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
Yesterday I threw some gas in my duster and drove it to work. Boy what a feeling hearing that v8 rumble cruising stop light to stop light, I get to the freeway and I let her rip like it was a captured bold eagle that was released back into the wilderness..

I don't even listen to the radio when I'm in the duster just that sweet muscle car sound, there's just nothing like it

I kinda lost interest in the car it just sits because of all of the drag strips are closed down around my area but when ever I do drive it I get that passion again..

I still need to do my top end swap and throw my disc brakes on it lol I've collected all of the parts to do it I just havnt had time to start it.

Anyway there's no point to this story exept that when cruisin it brings you joy lol

Yup! Pretty well sums up every time I go for a drive.... I've been considering putting a good radio in my car but probably wouldn't listen to it anyway.

I got a 12 inch subwoofer, 4 mid range drivers, I forgot how many speakers, they are in the dash, doors, luggage rack and near the subwoofer which is mounted open on plywood against the rear of the backseat..I gutted the cushion in back of the backseat so it lay flush and all speakers are out of sight from low life's peeking in the windows, lol

MB Quart which used to be owned by Rockford went bankrupt and Chutchflied was almost giving the stuff away, ha ha. I spent over a grand but got a $2,500 system

The amps are mount in the trunk and 2 gauge cable is tuck under the carpet. Around 5--7 years ago I got tried of hearing the punk radios at the stoplights, now I can crank out the jams as well. Its pretty great, all windows open on the freeway and you can still rock and roll....its almost spooky slowing down and the car is still vibrating from the music and you can't hear anything expect the engine when floored. Its easy to get lost in though, I don't listen to it often that way anymore cause people drive like they are retarded now of days, ha ha

Do use a battery charger when its park in the garage and then you can crank it up with no worries of crashing.

Funny at the stoplights is the only time I miss the smooth quiet newer cars, feels kind of dumb having the engine idling fast-compare to everybody else's cars-and the car shaking a bit but once moving all is smooth once again and so nice to have a car that moves ahead and still have lots of throttle left to move even quicker if ask.

I'm not "worn out" as easy compare to driving a newer smog-safety **** car. Its hard to explain but driving the old fast car wakes me up, its like taking speed without using drugs. The old Dodge cushions out the road also, my Saturn hits every bump HARD and jars U, my old Magnum just sucks up the rough spots.

Hard to believe they are both called Cars

NBeen a while,hope the 300 zx is workin for ya.I miss mine,all apart for new paint.

My '65 is my daily driver. It makes going to and from work alot better. It reminds me of when the world was a better place.

Yeah I recall way back when I look forward to driving. Some of has to do with all the long red lights I have around my home. You get out to the main road after driving 20 mph through the sub and then you have to stop for a min at some dumb light when half the time no traffic is coming the other way...then once traffic finally shows up, they have to stop cause their light just turn red. Then you drive to the next light and stop again.

Driving on the freeway is better but why do 30% of cars-suv's in the left lane just "sit" there and never move over ? They go 71 in a 70 zone and refuse to move over and when you pass them you see them chatting on the cell phone lost in thought.

Driving used to be fun, maybe it still is at times but not as often. The old V8 car does help, even if your going 55 mph it still feels better-quicker then going 55 mph in some newer car. I think the car seats help as well...

Anybody know why the newer car seats the headrest are bent forward ? Look at them, try to lean back and the headrest is in the way. I'm going to try to swap headrest on my Saturn so the head rest lean back. The back seat ones I just removed cause they block my vision in back but the front ones are good to have. If swapping doesn't work I well just bend them back--least the drivers side....look at them, most headrest today are bent forward too much..the seats don't have enough padding either expect my old mans Buick Lucerne. That car does drive nicer then the Saturn but the Sat has more pick up..to a point

I guess I should do the same and go for a drive in my Duster to get the motivation back in gear.
Last Fall I had the windows down and the throttle open. Then the entire headliner fell down on my head because the 40 year old threads just couldn't take it no more. I put it back into my garage and went out and bought the Charger. I haven't touched the Duster since. I did manage to pick up two 340 engines since then. One is a 1969 block basket case and the other is year correct for the car. It is complete from carb to pan and from water pump to the numbers matching 727 tranny tail shaft (with kickdown linkage).

My headliner went in the trash long ago, got some thick Styrofoam from Home Depot and painted red and stuff it up on the bottom of the roof using a long bolt and wide washer were the dome light used to be to hold it on up--so if I ever flip the car its go some cushion up there.

Good news, I just was able to turn the headrest on the Saturn around. Real easy to remove-just use a flat screwdriver to push in a slot and up they came, it went right in backwards--they just don;t lock anymore but they didn;t lock before till it was up a few inches, they never move before so they should stay down. Looks just right now and feels more comfy--now the seat can be tilted forward more and still can lean back--cool

Yes take the old car for a few drives and if something bugs you, correct it

Lol that's funny about the headliner dfx..

Crack.. irwindale is but only 1/8 mile and kinda far for me to cruise over .. I liked fontana

Abodybomber, the 300zx was a nice car but after going from a truck to a car I realized that I'm a truck guy so I sold the zx and now on the hunt for a 01-04 tacoma 4x4.. can't get any better then that

Abodybomber, the 300zx was a nice car but after going from a truck to a car I realized that I'm a truck guy so I sold the zx and now on the hunt for a 01-04 tacoma 4x4.. can't get any better then that

I don't know man, I drove around in a 2004 GMC Sierra Denali AWD extended cab (6.5 ft bed) loaded to the hilt with options like Quadrasteer, that was on excellent driving truck and the Quadrasteer made city driving a breeze!

I had a silverado it was nice bit just killed me on gas because of it being a dd, so now I would like a tacoma so I can go offroading with my friends and get good mpg's

Quadrasteer would be nice for our rear wheel drive cars. GM has had some ok ideas

What ever happen to Quadrasteer ? Oh well, maybe in 15 years when the patent runs out it hit the showrooms again

Quadrasteer isn't a new idea, the entire GTR (R32-R34) a similar system (Honda also a similar sysem on their Preludes). The reason why Quadrasteer went away was piss poor marketing, which resulted in few people buying. Dodge actually spent money to help develop it and GM gave them the ok to use but Dodge never did. With more and more people on the road I wouldn't be suprised to see a return of the system on truck (maybe even cars too).

It would make parking easier. I could see how it would increase costs very much and how strong is it like for off roading ? The front wheels you need to turn so you deal with that but the rear wheels most often do work best pointed straight, its only at low parking speeds it be nice to turn the back wheels.

Didn't know Dodge invented it, figures

Heck if they really want to make these new "muscle" cars better then the old ones, how come those rear wheels are fix straight just like the 40 year old cars ?

It would make parking easier. I could see how it would increase costs very much and how strong is it like for off roading ? The front wheels you need to turn so you deal with that but the rear wheels most often do work best pointed straight, its only at low parking speeds it be nice to turn the back wheels.

Didn't know Dodge invented it, figures

Heck if they really want to make these new "muscle" cars better then the old ones, how come those rear wheels are fix straight just like the 40 year old cars ?

Dodge didn't invent it they just supplied some funding to GM to develop it. GM basically said we want to develop this new system. But due to high cost they offered other companies to buy into (think what the US govt did with the F-35 Lighting 2) the other companies were dodge, Toyota, Honda, I forget the other one but ford refused so they won't get the technology to use it. It's a really great system! If you get the chance and find one in the junkyard you'll see how they work. You'll find them on 1500/2500 Sierra/silverados.
Another thing about them, you can always turn a switch to lock into standard straight wheels only and if the system ever fails, it's designed to lock the wheels into center/standard mode.

Opening your throttle up is sweet. Merging onto a freeway blowing out the cobs, matching speed in seconds while the 4 barrel moans is excellent. More muscle cars need to do it more often!

Just took our mo-chine out for a 16 hour run up thru the hills to a car show and back. Around 11pm en route home we were on a 10 mile twisty road sucking in 65 degree air in 2nd gear with hillbilly music blasting and pouring on the ever lovin coal!
Factory 440/727/308posi Jensen Interceptor III with 26k on it.
Oh yea, Leanna with Phoenix Specialty Coatings just did our valve covers!

Attachments

• IMG_3991.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3992.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3990.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 97
:burnout:Hey rice nuker i love the jensens they rock a killer motor and its british to boot!!

Yes, they are pretty neat cars!. We had frnt n rear springs made for it which are wayy stiffer, all poly bushings, and Firm Feel built us a one off 1.25" sway bar. Car is 4200# about the dimensions of a camaro. Sorry for the hijack..

:burnout:Hey rice nuker i love the jensens they rock a killer motor and its british to boot!!

-
Back