Cruising RPM and Manual Trans Options

-
I am running the 5 speed for the same reason, I don't want to be spinning the crap out of my 5.7 running it down the highway to work or if I want to go on a road trip I can do it without getting 4 mpg. The way I look at it, the better gas mileage I can get with it the more I can drive it...

On top of all that my budget absolutely sucks for this whole build so everything is on the cheap. And by going with the NV3500 I am saving boat loads of cash (at least on the front end). Instead of $2-300 for a flywheel I paid 80, instead of $1300 for the trans I paid $440, Instead of a $500 bell housing I paid $0 and my clutch is a stock replacement I can get at cost.

So far that saves me $1480-1580 without the clutch cost savings....

Having seen how these new engines really don't wear parts out I'm not terribly concerned with beating it up running the high rpm, though I don't know if some of the reason they last so long is because they don't turn as high of rpm all the time like the pre-overdrive days.

It's sort of hard to figure out exactly why I'd like to have the 6 speed. I'm sure some of it is a cool factor of having one and doing it myself, but spending a fair chunk of money on something that I don't really need is always in the back of my head. Keeping costs down is the name of the game though. I know it will probably always cost more than expected, but if the estimate is too high to start with I don't know that I can pull the trigger. That's the other reason I like to try to use production parts, you can potentially find them used easier. Don't think there are too many used smallblock to Viper T56 bellhousings going up for sale any time soon though, lol.

I'm using the Toyota Supra 5speed since years behind the 340 and now sicnce last year behind the 6.1 w/o any problems. It is the same case like the Dakota one but with better gear ratios. You are using the V6 Bellhousing, not the SB Housing. Cool thing is that you can use the clutch hydraulic plug&play....

I am running the 5 speed for the same reason, I don't want to be spinning the crap out of my 5.7 running it down the highway to work or if I want to go on a road trip I can do it without getting 4 mpg. The way I look at it, the better gas mileage I can get with it the more I can drive it...

On top of all that my budget absolutely sucks for this whole build so everything is on the cheap. And by going with the NV3500 I am saving boat loads of cash (at least on the front end). Instead of $2-300 for a flywheel I paid 80, instead of $1300 for the trans I paid $440, Instead of a $500 bell housing I paid $0 and my clutch is a stock replacement I can get at cost.

So far that saves me $1480-1580 without the clutch cost savings....

Doesn't the NV3500 have a granny first gear, like 5:1 or something like that?

Good Economizing.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Doesn't the NV3500 have a granny first gear, like 5:1 or something like that?

Good Economizing.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I believe first gear is 3.49:1 Its not really a granny gear. Now the NV-4500 has like a 5:1 first.

NV-3500 from Wikipedia:

1 2 3 4 5 R 3.49 2.16 1.40 1.00 0.73 3.55

3.49 is still a little steep for my taste, though I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I looked at the RS400/500 setups from Keisler and the super low first was a bit of a turn off for me. 3.37 first to a 1.99 second is an awful big drop, almost 2500 rpm at redline for me. I'd like a little more even spread.

Ironically the 833 is one of the better gear setups (for my taste at least) in my spreadsheet as far as gear drops and stuff is concerned. An aftermarket T56 (with the .62 6th) is the most consistent with drops (pretty much 1800 rpm a gear until overdrive), whereas the Viper T56 (.5 overdrive) has decreasing drops, 2000, 1600, 1375 until overdrive that is pretty similar to the 833.

Thanks Kb67,

You're right I was thinking of the NV4500, which by the way is GREAT for jeeps.

I also agree 3.49 is a bit steep for a street car, more than anything as others have pointed out its the drop in RPM from first to second that is the killer 2500 is too steep a drop.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

The 3.49 shouldn't be that bad. I also have a 2.94 rear gear so the lower truck gearing should take advantage of that. I plotted out my shift rpm's at WOT and the speed's look decent with a stock tire height. (not sure what that will actually be yet). Either way, just having a 5.7 powered 5 speed 67 Coronet will keep a smile on my face even if I skip first gear.

I got the trans in this weekend...:

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=24585&page=4

Either way, just having a 5.7 powered 5 speed 67 Coronet will keep a smile on my face even if I skip first gear.

Amen to that. My 5.7 build has given me a whole new set of issues to deal with the past few weeks, but when it is running right it always puts a smile on my face to drive. The low end rear will make that first gear more similar to a setup like mine, though the rpm drop will still be a little steep. You just need a wider powerband so it doesn't matter :p.

Humorously enough my 833 shifted flawlessly at the track last weekend and in general has just felt real smooth lately. It's almost as if it knows I'm thinking about replacing it and is trying to make its final plea...

Humorously enough my 833 shifted flawlessly at the track last weekend and in general has just felt real smooth lately. It's almost as if it knows I'm thinking about replacing it and is trying to make its final plea...

Sometimes is like they know....no idea how. I wish mine was drivable but sadly that will take some time. I have a host of parts to acquire plus a ton of fab work/repair work to do yet before I can even consider lighting this thing off. I still have to cut up and baffle my tank and install the pump, new fuel lines, brakes, install the hemi/make mounts....exhaust...you name it.

The rpm drop will be obviously larger with a truck tranny than that of a car trans but this is a driver anyway...if it see's track time it will be extremely rare.

...but this is a driver anyway...if it see's track time it will be extremely rare.

That's like saying, "I guess 300 horsepower will be enough", next thing you know you're tearing it all apart again to make it 400 horsepower and so on, lol. I'm sort of in that boat now. It's a blast to drive with the power it has as is, but I can't help thinking in the back of my head that 100 more would be even more fun :p. The cracked oil pan and smoke I saw at the track last week just means I need to get a new short block and put on those heads and cam that I want...

FYI, just read a post by Jamie Passon, that he has ironed out his porosity problems, and is simply waiting on bearings before he can start building transmissions.

Expected ship date is now early May.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

That's like saying, "I guess 300 horsepower will be enough", next thing you know you're tearing it all apart again to make it 400 horsepower and so on, lol. I'm sort of in that boat now. It's a blast to drive with the power it has as is, but I can't help thinking in the back of my head that 100 more would be even more fun :p. The cracked oil pan and smoke I saw at the track last week just means I need to get a new short block and put on those heads and cam that I want...

I am not saying I am not in that boat....I know this transmission will not be the last one this car will see. But rather then wait 4 years to get it drivable I'll take "good enough" for now.

you are right...another 100 hp is always more fun....:burnout:

-
Back