Crush sleeve eliminator

-

Graminizer

The "Big G"
Reaction score
I know this may sound like a dumb question, but what does a crush sleeve eliminator do? I know this replaces the crush sleeve, but what are the benefits of taking the crush sleeve out and replacing it with this? I'm getting ready to order my rear end parts from DR Diff, and want all the bases covered. Thanks FABO!

Its main advantage is that the preload on the bearings is acheived throught a shim pack. The torque on the pinion nut is just to hold things in place. If you need to replace your pinion seal you just retorque the nut again and done. It does not make the assembly any stronger, just easier to service.

A crush sleeve is a one time shot. Crush it too much, replace. The eliminator will allow you to shim for proper pinion depth and bearing preload, assemble, disassemble, assemble etc. without having to replace it.

It also increases strength and allows for bearing, seal and ring and pinion changes to be done with ease.

Two words: Do it. :D

Under severe loads and mega amounts of torque, the stock crush sleeve can deflect and cause pinion gear failure. I really wouldn't be concerned with it if it's on a mild to moderate street car. Certainly not worth opening it up and swapping it out if there's nothing wrong.

Certainly not worth opening it up and swapping it out if there's nothing wrong.

Agreed, I'm under the impression he's either putting one together or changing out some gears.

If it's apart I certainly would throw it in, I have another 489 housing that will be getting some new gears soon and I will be using one. And the only reason I will use it is for ease of dis-assembly and assembly, I certainly won't have the horsepower to require it.

Yes, I'm attempting a gear swap as my pinion is chewed up on mine. This is all new to me. :newb: Thanks guys.

Well, it's 30 extra bucks for the eliminator, but like I said if you ever have to change your yoke, seal or want to do a gear swap in the future, it's reusable. A crush sleeve is not.

Make sure to mark your bearing caps so they go back on the same way. Some say it doesn't matter, some say it does. I usually just do it for peace of mind.

It is simply a issue of time and labor.

The shim method will take you longer and getting the pre-load exactly can be exhaustive.
The crush collar is faster and simpler, unless you don't understand how little a turn is needed on the nut and then you need another crush collar and start over, however that is still faster than shims.

Just a matter wasting less time.

-
Back